System Activity Log - Where is it and what does it do?

Hi guys,

We’ve had System Activity Tracking checked in Company Maintenance since GoLive on E10 in mid 2015, and support suggested turning it off to fix a database purge not working yesterday (we’re on 10.0.700.4) based on a PDF config check.

The help file states that it records all system activities, but the System Activity Log Tracker and ICE.SysActivityLog table only have one row, stating it was turned on by user…

I’m a bit confused…

1. Should the system activity log be this empty? We’ve made plenty of changes in BPM’s, dashboards, etc…
  2. Is the data saved somewhere else? Where?
  3. Does this need to be checked for other tracking like change logs to work?
  4. Do I need to create BPM’s to record changes based on this checkbox being enabled?
  5. What would happen if I turn this off?

From Help:
“Select this check box to track updates to the application like BAQ definitions, dashboard definitions, customizations, BPM method directives, and so on.
This activity can then be reviewed within an activity log. You display this information by launching the System Activity Log Tracker; access this tracker from the Main Menu by opening the System Management > Security folder”

Found this too - User Access Tracking - #5 by Chris_Conn - ERP 10 - Epicor User Help Forum

Thanks!

Sys Activity Log had a bug back in the 10.0 days where it would not save the records to the table mentioned. It should contain a variety of information such as User log in and log out, login failures, etc.

I don’t know when that got patched version wise so worth a call to support.

Thanks, Bart! Support ticket submitted. I’ll update this post when we get a resolution.