Job Scheduling

I have orders with multiple delivery dates (releases) linked to a single job. When I schedule the job it appears to be scheduling all the deliveries for the earliest due date. Is there a way to have the parts flow thru as needed with different start dates?

each job can only have one due date, if you want them done at different times, you need different jobs.

That is what I thought… But it seems awfully rigid. I want to capture the costs in one job. I didn’t know if maybe the send ahead functionality would be useful.

yeah, but on the other side of that coin, if you are doing parts of the job at different times, you may have other factors coming into play. Plus, if you want to recognize revenue and close jobs, now you have to wait until the last order is done. And with scheduling, it’s assuming the setup for one operation is happening once, if you are setting up and tearing down multiple times, the scheduling engine can’t know that. Maybe that’s not the case for your specific business, but for others, it probably is.

There are lots of ways to group costs together using BAQ’s and dashboards if you want to look at things that way.

All fair thoughts. We recognize revenue as we ship so that isn’t an issue. I do try to think of other companies and how the logic may be helpful to them. But I want it to work the way I need it to for here. lol. Nonetheless you have confirmed my suspicion. I hate the idea of only using scheduling if we change the way things have been done here for 50 years but it may just have to go that way. Thanks for your help!

Yeah, Costing is a pain sometimes.

Are you standard costed? We are average costed, and I think that if you ship or receive from the job, the costing that comes with it is the cost at the time. So if you are shipping some directly from the job, I think the invoiced cost will be different as you are pulling them off the job.

I could be wrong on that one though.

You could create a Master job with an aribtrary due date and add ‘Make Direct’ materials to reflect your release qty requirements. “Make to Job” sub jobs would then be created to fulfill the master job. Each of these sub jobs can have its own seperate due date. Costs could be collected in master job when complete.

1 Like

Rick,

From a job scheduling point of view also be aware that this job will be one contiguous scheduling block - ie if you have a job for 100, but you are actually shipping in batches of 10, it is tying up resources at each operation to make the full 100. You can spread across multiple resources but ultimately it is making the 100 all at once. You can use manipulate things with how the operations are scheduled using scheduling factors (start to start, start to finish, finish to finish) but all these really govern is when the next operation can start - for example as soon as x parts have been produced.

Scheduling doesn’t really work for us - we have front end operations where things are done in a batch - for example nesting and cutting all assemblies for 10 final assemblies at the front end and then assembling them, moving them on to other process and shipping in ones - effectively a batch becomes one piece flow.

E10 and indeed lots of other ERP systems can’t generally cope with this in one job, needs to be either make to job or make to a manufacturing Kanban for the batched front end and then a separate job to make the smaller quantities that reflect how you ship from the job. You can also try and control using a daily production rate. This was too complex for our business to support.

1 Like

You can use scheduling blocks and send ahead to split the ops into smaller quantities but be careful if you use infinite capacity scheduling.

A. Mercer Sisson
A M Sisson - Consulting, LLC
Mercer@amsisson.com

My understanding is that both scheduling blocks and send ahead still works the operation in one contiguous block for the operation on the job, all they are doing is spreading that contiguous block of time across multiple resources or starting the next operation when the time to produce x at the current operation has elapsed.

I’m not convinced Epicor, and indeed most ERP systems can do what Rick wants: make a few today/this week and then free up the resources on the operation to work other jobs, make a few today/next week and then free up the resources for other jobs, all within the same make to order job.

If that is not the case and scheduling blocks or send ahead does indeed allow this using the automated scheduling tools, then i would greatly appreciate some detail on the scenarios it is being applied to and some step by step instructions.

It can spread it out if a resource is single threaded however it generally schedules them one after another. If you want them spread over time (ie weeks) it is best to split them into separate jobs with different required by dates. I do have a technique that can do a delayed start for forward scheduling which we have used to spread similar jobs out in time.

A. Mercer Sisson
A M Sisson - Consulting, LLC
Mercer@amsisson.com

It also depends on how long your shipments span.

In our china plant we build jobs for inventory finished goods and then drop ship from inventory, so the costs are all captured at once.

Alternatively if you have sub assemblies that are run together you can put those in one job, receive to inventory and then issue those completed sub assemblies to later jobs to complete each drop against a sales order.