Change Bill To at Sales Order Release level?

Is it possible to change the bill to at the release level of the sales order?
We have a scenario for a consignment account that acts like a distributor. We ship to the consignment account, and from there, the consignment account will sell the product to another customer. When this happens, the consignment account let’s us know who to bill the product to.

I’d like to use the sales order for this, to fit with the rest of our consignment scenarios, but in this situation I’m not sure how to deal with the unknown bill to at the time of creating the sales order. I should add that I’m creating the sales order as a step to hold the information about the shipment and to create a consignment packing slip from the order info. The shipment doesn’t happen electronically until we would be told to bill out, so we are just moving the inventory after physical shipment into a consignment bin.

Hi Aaron,

I’m not sure about what you are asking, but I have seen similar situations to this. If you are still stuck on this, feel free to get in touch with me.

Ken

If you have a solution I’m sure that @Aaron_Moreng and the community would love to hear it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Aaron, it seems like you are trying to use the same SO to drop ship as you use to send to the vendor. Is that accurate?

Hey Ken

I solved the problem in a bit of a different way.
The scenario was as follows.

1. We ship the product on a sales order to the distributor at $0 to relieve inventory.
  2. The distributor will sell the product locally and tell us where it was used.
  3. We use RMA to perform an inventory movement back in for product used based on the original invoice to the distributor.
  4. A receipt is done and the product is placed into a bin that corresponds to the distributor.
  5. A sales order to the end user customer is performed and the product is picked from the distributor’s bin.
  6. Thus, the end customer is billed while maintaining the “consignment” with the distributor. We also then have the ability to look at distributor consignment performance based on shipments from their bin.

I’d love to hear your thoughts if there is a better way to do this. I did need to fit this scenario in with the rest of our consignments, so I thought this was a pretty nice solution given the business problem.

2 Likes

I have used a similar work around, except I do not do the RMA.

I have used a Specific warehouse as the Vendor location, with a non-nettable bin so the inventory is not used by MRP. When material goes to the Vendor, we actually just move it into this warehouse/bin.

I wasn’t clear on how you were using the sales order.

Ken

1 Like