Anyone using Expensify, Concur, or other?

AND ADP for that matter. At least they are consistent in inefficiency.

If you have Service Connect or an ETL and a way for Concur to send you a .csv or for you to export a .csv on demand, its easy to do with SC. Actually I have seen @josecgomez do it for a company w/ Concur using Service Connect.

1 Like

And itā€™s more than just a connection issue. Concur can pay your employees directly. OK, now how to do you do the accounting on that? If I enter it into Epicor against jobs/projects/field service case, it will double dip the expense if youā€™re also retyping the details from Concur. Concur also contains company paid items that are not reimbursed to the employee but should also be charged to the job/projects/field service case. We send a list of open projects and phases and field service cases to select from. What if the job is closed?

I used to work in EDI and people loved to use the phrase ā€œseamless integrationā€ Pffft. Seamless-Integration ā€œseems lessā€ likely all of the time. Integration is difficult and anyone who says otherwise has never done one.

3 Likes

Agreed; I have done it with other ERP systems as well. We donā€™t have SC, but if that is what it takes weā€™ll get it.

It the easiest way to call Epicor BOā€™sā€¦ You could always try Jitterbit or even a Custom C# Console Application that simply runs every hour and uses REST APIs.

True: Arthur talks about Systems Integration - YouTube

3 Likes

@psiebers @Mark_Wonsil @MikeGross if you all are serious about meeting in Vegas, count me in!! We donā€™t have Concur or Expensify yet but hoping to move forward soon, once we figure out how the transactions will work in Epicor.

Mike - Iā€™ve got the same go ahead from our Controller, haha! Anything to make expenses and corporate card usage easierā€¦

1 Like

We are still on the fence when it comes to Insights; justification gets infinitely harder when you mention it is in Vegas. I am still positive on making it there though, so tentatively count me in!

Come Join us!!! All the cool kids will be there :slight_smile:

1 Like

LIES!

But you said youā€™d be ā€˜in spiritā€™ and @Mark_Wonsil and a bunch of us are going to drink your beersā€¦ er, drink beers in you name. So itā€™ll be like youā€™re thereā€¦

1 Like

Mike, in my lieu, you are responsible for taking any and all photos of groups of Asian women.

:laughing: :+1: Thatā€™s a deal.

I just posted in the other Concur thread here - SAP Concur Interation - #8 by askulte

Not sure which thread to use! How are you guys loading the Concur data into Epicor now? @Mark_Wonsil @MikeGross @psiebers @tkoch

@jnbadger - Has your company moved forward with Concur?

@tkoch - Can you share more details?

Thanks everyone!

@askulte - we let Concur do all the payables (both the employeeā€™s direct deposit, and to AMEX and any of the major travel/transportation sites) so all we bring back is a GL file, and Iā€™ve honestly not gotten back to making it work like I want it to.

@MikeGross hit the nail on the head with the complexity. If all Concur does is collect the expense and not pay anything, itā€™s doable. But once you pay the employees directly then things get hairier really fast while trying to keep the accounting straight.

A G/L only interface could work out but if you want to actually post against jobs/projects then thatā€™s what was giving us fits - especially since Concur was paying employees directly. We set up Concur as a bank, just like we would with a Credit Card and that worked from a G/L perspective but we couldnā€™t get visibility of the expenses from a Project point of view. :man_shrugging:

If I were to do it today, I would think about pulling the Concur files in from an Epicor function and build an AP Group. Youā€™d have to have a good connection between suppliers in Concur and Epicor to do it correctly though. Iā€™m not sure if Concur sends out 1099s for expenses to non-C Corp establishments. :thinking:

Makes my head hurtā€¦

1 Like

We havenā€™t moved forward yet. Was supposed to be a 2020 projectā€¦

Iā€™m actually pushing for Expensify instead. Itā€™s way more affordable since we donā€™t not need other Concur services and has all of the same features for expenses.

@Mark_Wonsil @MikeGross Have you tried letting Concur handle the payables and then doing job adjustments for the job/project costs?

I donā€™t know how Concur invoices you, but letā€™s just assume you get a monthly statement like with a credit cardā€¦

Enter an AP invoice to Concur, which would cover the platform fees and the employee reimbursements. The invoice would hit the appropriate expense accounts (assuming Concur has some kind of GL file or can at least export the expenses, then youā€™d map expense categories to GL accounts in Excel). Thatā€™d be an easy paste insert in invoice entry.

Then youā€™d make job adjustments for expenses that needed to be costed to jobs/projects. I think this can be done with DMT. Finally, reverse the GL transactions from the job adjustments to avoid the double dip on COS expense.

Alternatively to the job adjustments, you could do job misc. lines on the invoice, but I think thatā€™d be more time-consuming.

Of course I havenā€™t actually done this, so I might be over-simplifying :laughing: thatā€™s just the general workflow I was imagining for my company.

We havenā€™t gone live with Concur but the development is done as already use this approach for upload of credit card statement, travel statement, allowances, etc. The solution is to download file from Concur and upload into a UD table in Epicor and do required validations and generate Job materials, etc and export to upload as AP Invoice using DMT.

This is the issue, right? When things are paid in Concur you could get the expenses into the the G/L but you try to get the expense to jobs, you get the expense again. Concur sends two files, things paid by employees which we need to reimburse and another file with charges made to a company credit card.

We used Concur as a bank just like we do with credit cards. When we ā€œpayā€ back Concur, we just do a bank to bank transfer, again, just like a credit card.

I think it can be done but thereā€™s a lot work to set it up. We had projects and phases exported to Concur so the employees could attach them to the expense. I think itā€™s a lot smoother if you just let Concur gather the expenses and let Epicor pay employees. :thinking:

EDIT: Projects is what makes this more difficult. If youā€™re staying away from WIP then the other suggestions should work.

1 Like