WBS Phase - Revenue Recognition Method

Has anyone encountered the “WBS Phase - Revenue Recognition Method not found” error message below while running the capture process? What does this error mean and where can we look?

Chia,

Look under Company Configuration > Modules > Services > Project Billing for “Default Revenue Recognition Method”. You probably want it set to “Manual”

It is set to ‘None’ since we do not use Revenue Recognition. I checked in the WBS Phase in Project Entry but we do not have any jobs using WBS Phase and all of the Revenue Recognition Methods in Project Entry are set to ‘Manual’. Not sure what could have triggered this error?

If you don’t have the Project Billing module, that Company Configuration setting isn’t going to affect anything regardless of what it is set at. Try setting it to Manual, save it, then see if you can run your capture. I’ve found this particular setting to be pretty finicky in a lot of situations.

We set it to ‘None’ since we probably aren’t using the Project Billing module. So why would it caused the error message we are seeing when we run Capture? This has always worked and our concern is something changed that caused the error message during that Capture run. Our current settings run the Capture process successfully so we’re just wondering why that message came up during that Capture run.

You’ve reached the limit of my understanding… I’m sorry but I can’t answer that one. Anyone else want to take a crack at it?

How do we determine if we do have the Project Billing module or not? Is there somewhere I can look to see if the Project Billing is enabled?

Go into the Admin Console, expand Server Management, expand your Server, expand your Production environment, select Licensing. In the middle area of the right-click on your license and select Properties. In the window that appears click into the Modules tab, and in there you can see all the modules you’re licensed for (as well as the ones you’re not).

And if you don’t have access to the Admin Console, go to Project Entry and the Contract tab (I think it’s called that in 9 too) and you’ll see a drop down for the various billing methods. You won’t be able to choose T&M or Fixed Fee - only Manual and Customer Shipment I believe.

Mark W.

1 Like

Turn on PE log, run the process, find the job the error is related to, then go to the job and clear the phase from the job.

This is usually the cause of this error in my experiences. I see this sometimes when running the WIP/Reconciliation report, it looks like you are running a capture here?

1 Like

Yes, we are running the capture. This only happened on the 12/22/17 date transactions. If we already ran the capture, will the PE log capture the job again? Do you know which field the phase is on the job to do a sql query search? Is it the JobHead.PhaseID field to clear the phase from the job? Is this a one time occurrence to not worry about it?

It’s happened to me a few times now, it seems like the phase gets deleted when it is assigned to a job, leaving the code for the deleted phase on the jobhead causing this issue.

You’ll need to verify this is your exact issue, otherwise it is a separate issue.

1 Like

I did a sql query on the JobHead.PhaseID and the majority of the Phase ID’s are not deleted but we’ve never run into this issue in the past. Is the process supposed to be that the Phase ID gets deleted or vice versa?

Have you run the PE log to see if there is a related job number to the error?

We already ran the capture so we wouldn’t expect anything to be the PE log. Should we turn on the PE log and run the capture again even though all dates after the error date looks good? Do you normally have your PE log always enabled for these situations or how do you find the job number after the error has occurred if you don’t have the PE log always enabled?

The transaction related to that error would not have posted. Running the capture again would reprocess, you could also run the Inv/WIP Reconciliation report for that day with the log turned on and the same error will surface.

I only have logging turned on when needed or else it will slow down processing.

If we re-run the capture process again, will the error show up on the 12/22 date again? We didn’t see anything in the WIP Recon unposted report which makes us believe the transaction posted correctly even with the error. And the posted WIP recon report looks to be in balance.

Sounds like it did post even with the error, strange. When I get this error the reconciliation report does not finish.

We turned on the PElog and ran capture but there was no error. Does it create an entry in the PElog if there are no errors? I am not seeing the PElog created at all when we turn it on.

What is the export and import location doing? I checked those location and do not see the PElog file there after enabling and running capture and the WIP/Recon report with PElog enabled.