VISTA 8, ODBC connection to Progress

I saw some old posts about connecting to progress database through ODBC driver.

vista version 8 is what we’re using.

Does anyone know if these drivers are still available?

The Progress ODBC drivers should be installed on your server. So you may be able to set ODBC up with what you already have.
i.e. ODBC setup on your client(s) will point to the directory on your server where you have Progress installed.

I usually install ODBC on a client as follows
a.) find the netsetup folder in your Progress server and run setup e.g. \servername\epicor\oe101c\netsetup\setup.exe
b.) Set up the DSN(s)…

• can be tricky/depend on the client OS
  • there are many examples of setting up a DNS and manually editing the registry on EpicWeb and the old Yahoo site ( I believe the Yahoo posts have been copied here too).

Note ODBC driver supplied with Progress for Epicor is 32 bit.

1 Like

When running the ODBC admin tool on a client newer than win XP, you’ll need to launch the Wow64 version. Setting up an ODBC connection on a win 7 or newer, using the default ODBC admin control panel program wont work.

We did the registry trick of making a .reg file with the appropriate entries, and used that to create ODBC connections on clients. I can post the reg file contents if you want

1 Like

Everyone else has this covered, but, I will make one other comment. The OpenEdge ODBC drivers for Progress databases are forwards and backwards compatible between 10.1b and 10.2b (that is as far as my OE knowledge goes–it could go further into OE’s versions). This is to say that in Epicor 9.05 with OpenEdge 10.2a, there were 32bit and 64bit Windows ODBC drivers that could be used with any Progress database going back to V8.03. If you have the E905 install media, you could install the later version of OE JUST for these ODBC drivers.

Most programs that would use an ODBC connection aren’t 64bit so the 32bit driver that comes with OE10.1b would be fine but, if you were planning on doing something with say a SQL linked server or a 64bit client application, you would probably need the 64bit drivers for Windows which weren’t available until 10.2a.

There is a KB in support on how to set all of this up if you need step by step instructions.