Vantage 8: Unknown error sending SMTP mail in Global Alert mess

All,

Periodically, we will start seeing a multitude of these errors start appearing in our Global Alerts log.  I can reboot the Vantage server and everything clears up for awhile but eventually they start occurring again.  Does anyone know what “breaks” the SMTP connection in Vantage and causes emails to quit sending? 

Mike Abell

Information Technology Manager
Flexial - BOA Group - Cookeville, Tennessee
Office:   931.432.1853 ext 302
Mobile:  615.418.3055

email:  MAbell@...

We are on 8.03.405a and it happens to us from time to time.

A while back I followed the instructions to add a "Print Queue" App Server which had the added benifit of being the appserver the global alerts email process uses. I can use progress explorer to stop process appserver, task appserver and print appserver (in that order) and then restart them in opposite order and it clears the hung process using port 25 on the server without kicking all the users off 

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

All,

Periodically, we will start seeing a multitude of these errors start appearing in our Global Alerts log.  I can reboot the Vantage server and everything clears up for awhile but eventually they start occurring again.  Does anyone know what “breaks” the SMTP connection in Vantage and causes emails to quit sending? 

Mike Abell

Thanks for the tip. I’d surely like to know what App Server I need to reset as that would help me out bigtime if I didn’t have to reboot the server each time to fix it. Is there an easy way to find out which App Server is the one that email uses?

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of bwalker@...
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 11:14 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] RE: Vantage 8: Unknown error sending SMTP mail in Global Alert message log

We are on 8.03.405a and it happens to us from time to time.

A while back I followed the instructions to add a "Print Queue" App Server which had the added benifit of being the appserver the global alerts email process uses. I can use progress explorer to stop process appserver, task appserver and print appserver (in that order) and then restart them in opposite order and it clears the hung process using port 25 on the server without kicking all the users off 

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

All,

Mike Abell