Using the Same Epicor instalation on 2 domains

we recently acquired a company and are trying to use the Epicor client on their domain, to access the database which is on our domain. any suggestion how to get the client to work on a different domain than then the database…

Thanks
-Phil

Have you established trusts between the domains?

1 Like

If the network is routing properly this might just work. Are you getting errors already? The biggest issue will be DNS finding the server on the other domain. The trust relationship is a plus, but might not be required depending on the user logging in and security structure used. Let us know if you have an error we can look at.

We have established a trust between the 2 domains. We can access the Epicor server, install the client on a local machine on the other domain. When we launch Epicor we get the below error message:
Update Error
Automatic update failed for the following reason:
The network path was not found.

When you are accessing the Epicor server, are you accessing via IP or via Hostname? My first guess is that the remote site can’t resolve your host site hostnames. To resolve this you’ll need to sync your host site domain DNS with your remote site DNS server(s) so that clients on the remote site can resolve host site computer names.

If you want to test to confirm that hostname resolution is the problem, on a test remote computer, you could make an enter into the hosts file (probably located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc) that provides the IP Address for the remote hostname. If that resolves the problem on the test workstation, then you’ll know that DNS name resolution is the problem. Does the error message list the path?

@danvoss is exactly correct. To check this quickly open a command prompt and type ping “servername” assuming your network allows internal ping request to respond. If this does not work then you can try ping “fully qualified server name”. Example server name epicorserver, example of fully qualified name epicorserver.mydomain.local. See what this does for your. Resolving the host name is going to be your issue for sure though.

Hello All,

We are attempting to get this done as well, install and run Epicor from a PC in another Domain.
Our trust and dns are setup and tested, but we still can’t get the install to run.

Does anyone know what shares or security groups need be edited on the app server to allow for the remote computers to install and run?

We are on 10.2.300.

Thanks,
JM

Can you see the folder and server from the other computer in the other Domain?

Yes… we can browse to it.
But when we launch… we get a permissions error.

As a test… I joined another computer in this remote site to the directly to the parent domain and was able to install… so I thought permissions was the issue for PCs/users in the trusted domain.

I added a user from the trusted domain to the local admin group on the app server as a test… but still the same results.

We have a security group setup for Epicor Access. This group is a Universal Group. We have read/write access to the share where you install Epicor from. This group also has read/write access to the EpicorData share on the server. This ensures there is not any issue access log files when needed.

If you can browse to the server, but not open the file it is definitely an access level issue.

I have four different Epicor sites. I cross domain lines all the time to access to the other systems. Two of those sites are not part of a subdomain within the parent domain, but two of them are still on separate domains without issue. So I know it works successfully. The only caveat to remember is the sysconfig files need the FQDN of the server name in it if you do not have DNS suffixes defined in your TCP/IP DHCP assignments.

Hope this helps! Hard to get much further without some level of screen prints to compare to.

Thanks Josh…

Good tips on the security for the folders and shares… I have similar setup. I also added the domain suffix to the sysconfig.

Our issue turned out to be the Kaspersky AV on their network. It was allowing connection to the shares… then if you refreshed File Explorer a couple of times you would lose connection. Disable AV no problem.

Thanks Again.