Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2

We are looking to upgrade from 10.0.700.4 to 10.2.100. I downloaded the upgrade guide from Epicweb and it doesn’t appear to be too bad but was wondering if anyone else has already done this upgrade and has any tips or gotchas to look out for? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi Abe,

We went from 10.0.700.4 to 10.2 bit Epicor did the upgrade since we’re DT SaaS users but I will tell you this, have a Data Health Check done on your database first. (Request it on EpicCare)

We went from Single Tenant to SaaS so there were some issues related to that that an on-prem user won’t have. We’ve been live for a month and have had only small issues.

Mark

Mr. Abe: The best advice is to setup a VM, install the 10.2 and Test. If you have your own hardware.

I have seen a couple Report Data Definitions that did not migrate well. I had to rebuild the RDD’s for AR Invoice and JobTraveler. The AR Invoice RDD was missing a Calculated field after the upgrade. Maybe that is fixed now - Epicor is constantly fixing things - so it is hard to make definitive statements.

However, other than the couple of SSRS RDD issues - I have not seen any major gotcha’s upgrading to 10.2.

DaveO

Live now for about two months, but upgrade to 10.1 in between, when upgrading to 10.1 you gain advantage of new reporting options. so have a look at your reports anyway, RDD files do get upated properly from 10.1 to 10.2 (on premise)

regards

Abe, I agree with DaveOlender and we also follow the same practice of setting up a new VM installed with the ERP version we want to upgrade to on latest Operating System and SQL Server versions, thereafter the ERP database from the older version is restored in the newly created VM and upgrade the database following the Epicor Upgrade guide.

This process is cleaner as there is no need of removing the Application server unlike the case when an in-server upgrade process is taken. Another advantage is latest OS and SQL Server versions can be deployed in the VM where the latest ERP version is deployed for the upgrade.

Yes I agree setting up a VM of our current production server is the way to go. Thank you for everyones input.

We needed to recreate our RDD’s. Something unexpected, my test environment rdl files on Azure SQL 2016 were incompatible when moving them on-prem to SQL 2014. Be sure test and prod are on the same versions…

After upgrading to 10.2, I’m finding RDDs with invalid keys in their report relationships. The UI doesn’t validate relationship keys if you change something in the data sources section, but change a relation type from “Definition Only” to “Output” and it will suddenly notice that the key is bogus. And you can’t change the key, so you have to delete and recreate the whole relationship.

Abe, I was wandering if the upgrade took place…and how it went. ?

We are on 10.0.700.2 Running on SQL server 2012.DB. We are starting to look for the upgrade to 10.2. I have not read yet any upgrade manuals (downloading files about 10.2 now)

We have lots of customization (over 30 ) especially heavy on Sales order and quote entry… I suspect a lot of work in converting those for 10.2 (rewrite ? ) , including reports. Am I right?

Yesterday I was told there is a meeting setup for the go ahead on the upgrade (ahh at last! ) and I will probably need to provide an evaluation of upgrade timeframe and I have no idea ( so far … ) of the effort needed. Got a few hours of reading ahead of me ! But if someone who already done it can provide insights of such info would be appreciated.

thanks

Hi Pierre. We have been live on 10.2.100.8 for 1 month now. We upgraded from 10.1.500.11. I have about 15 customizations in all, but my Quote Entry and Order Entry customizations are the most complex. I didn’t have to rewrite either of them, only had to move group boxes and fields around because they were overlapping each other. Most of the other customizations converted just fine. There was 1 customization that was built on Customer Entry for a select group of users so that most tabs/fields were not editable. That one didn’t work at all and had to be rewritten, but it was a very simple customization so no big deal.
Good luck!
-Sharla

Thanks for your input Sharla,

I guess we will cross our fingers that it will be same for us! But I suspect more issues as it is a bigger version change than yours…

Will keep you posted … :wink:

Pierre

Hello Pierre,

We went from 10.0.700.4 to 10.2.100. The biggest issue was rebuilding RDDs and there is no easy way to move your SSRS reports (at least for hosted companies like us). Like Sharla, we had to rearrange fields on our customizations, rebuild the Dashboards, and validate the BPMs. It really wasn’t that bad.

Mark W.

Pierre, I agree with Mark. Rebuilding the RDDs (for some, not all, of our SSRS reports and the RDDs for our outbound EDI definitions… and consequently our EDI link plans in TIE) were the biggest pain for our upgrade.
-Sharla

Oh, we also had to recompile our Electronic Interface but that was no big deal either.

Mark W.

Did anyone have to redeploy their clients after upgrading from 10.0 to 10.2? We would like to avoid having to do this, we would like instead for the clients to perform the auto update because of the number of clients and MES stations we have it would be a pain to have to redeploy the clients.

We are getting ready to go from from 10.0.700 to 10.2.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, the auto update really only works with the “.” releases/patches. When making larger jumps with upgrades I’ve had to handle the install via tools like xcopy, GPO or other software package installers.

Kelly

1 Like

Hi,

The client DLL’s are different between 10.0 and 10.2.

If you don’t upgrade your client, you’ll get client mismatch errors that stop anyone logging in.

Best Regards,

Andrew.

1 Like

what if we tried upgrading to 10.1 first and then onto 10.2, would this allow us to circumvent having to redeploy the clients? Probably not but worth asking.

In my experience, any upgrade, even a patch upgrade needs a client upgrade.

For example, I recently did a patch upgrade from 10.1.6.05 to 10.1.600.18. and ot the following error - ‘version mismatch between client (10.1.600.5) and server (10.1.600.18)’.

Best Regards,

Andrew.

Right I know that but I am talking about having to install an entire new client which is what I am trying to avoid.