Updateable DashBoard for Time and Expense

DMT would be a lot easier than service connect, and that’s really what it’s made for. You can use a scripting language like powershell to run it as a batch file, so you put your info in a CSV and hit the button, and it will update.

But they would still have to approve them correct? I still going through the guide for ICE. it was a thought.

I don’t know for sure about the approval, I don’t DMT anything into time and expense here. But the system has a bunch of options for time and expense, so I imagine it should work. I also think that you should be able to approve using DMT as well, but I don’t have any specific experience on that, as we just have our system set to approve on entry because people would forget to approve them, and it just ended up causing more hassle then it was worth.

The labor detail has a field that denotes whether it’s approved or not.

LaborDtl.TimeStatus

The status of the time. Values are:
Blank
E - Entered
S - Submitted
P - Partially Approved
A - Approved

Where is that screen you are showing. I have one Time and Expense Entry

That’s the DMT program

And you can set that in the DMT it looks like.

Right so on the DMT, just put the status in as well. I am just not sure a DMT is the way to go because that means they would have to have access to DMT or someone in IT will have to upload the file. Does that make sense? That’s why I thought service connect would be more sensible.

Nothing is easy in the world of IT support.

If you use the powershell automation to run the DMT, you can set it to run on a schedule. Just have the user make sure he submits his file into the right location to run the DMT by the time the schedule runs, and he doesn’t have to touch DMT.

You can use service connect if you want to, and it’s what you are comfortable with, it can do it, I just don’t know if it’s easier.

Ok So I use DMT to create a template and they enter the necessary information. Once they do that, they place it in a designated location for the PowerShell to pull in. Is that the short version of it? I’m familiar with service connect but hadn’t thought about using DMT to do this.

That’s what I would do. You could even get fancy and make an excel macro template for them that has a submit button to copy the info, make the CSV, and drop it in the correct location.

This solution is a little bit (ok a lot) amatuer, but it can work if you don’t want to do the C# coding to do the customization like you are talking about at the beginning of the thread.

You’ll have to watch out for duplicates. I’m not sure how I would prevent those at the moment. I’ll have to think about that. (that’s where the customization would work better because it’s two way)

If you can use that tool well, maybe that would be better for you. I haven’t used it, I just have a little exposure with it, and I hear it’s overly complicated, but if you know how to use it, then maybe that works. I know it can handle watch folders for picking up files.

Guess I could have looked at the original post. The BO has 2 different calls to create a labor dtl

if(!GiveMeAHeader)
{
             laborBO.GetNewLaborDtlNoHdr(lds, emp, false, new DateTime?(date), decimal.Zero, new DateTime?(date), hours);
                }
                else
                {
                    laborBO.GetNewLaborDtlWithHdr(lds, new DateTime?(date), decimal.Zero, new DateTime?(date), hours, LaborHeadSeq.Value);
                }

I’m pretty sure that @Chris_Conn guy writes code for everything. I don’t even thinks he uses a mouse, he just codes the next click he wants to make. hahaha.

For real though, if you can get Chris to help you with the coding, you can p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ do your original idea with the updateable dashboard.

2 Likes

lol #accurate

Chris,

is it possible to discuss this with you in more detail?

Sure. Have any specific questions?

First is an updateable dashboard TEE doable? I have not done an updateable dashboard like this before. The long & short of it is that the end users want be able to use a spreadsheet to upload for TEE. So the obvious thinking is dashboard. But after reading through the string of emails, this may not be the easiest or best method.
If the dashboard can be done, I am going to need help on the coding. I can build queries and get the data its coding that I am trying to be more proficient.

Thanks,

Charles

Sure it’s doable, I wont say its easy, buts it’s not impossible.

A few considerations:
Req’d fields are, well, required. And there are several on T&E. With that said, the more standards you have that you can default (and ultimately ignore) the better. This would be things like job type (because they all require diff fields), expense codes, resource groups, etc. If you intend to have all of that be flexible, that’s alot more work - still very doable.

Most of the logic will be in the updatable BPM if you go dashboard route. Personally, I think just making a custom T&E screen would be easier and more flexible - but I am not resident expert here on ‘best practices’.

It requires a fair bit of code, so if you dont at least know the basics of c# and programming in general, I would not suggest going that route.

C# has not been my strong suit. Having said that, I was thinking maybe service connect might be a way to go. The information that is received comes in on a Form that is filled out by the tech. I thought if I gave them a template and used that to upload via service connect might be a better way.

DMT has been suggested as well. I hadn’t thought about doing a customized T& E screen. How would you go about doing that?

First, is the intention to have a form they enter data on to, or an external file that gets imported in? I am not saying you cant do both, but its a starting point.

Service Connect could do it… I havent heard the greatest things about SC but most of the input comes from programmers, who probably assume they can do it better themselves (I know I do lol)

With a T&E screen, I’d start with a blank form (steal one of the UDForms). Add the necessary adapters. LaborAdapter is mandatory, but depending on the level of complexity, you may require supporting adapters, for like looking up related data (jobs, operations, expense codes, etc). That goes back to what I was saying earlier, the more fields that dont require change, the easier this gets.

Add the necessary controls, textboxes, combos, etc to enter the data.

Button to perform the action which calls the needed calls to LaborAdapter passing the values from your controls as needed. I say needed callS because the are usually several - creating a new record, validating fields, udpdating record. You’d run a trace and go thru a time entry from start to finish on a standard T&E screen (someone could provide you a trace im sure) to get the complete list of what needs to happen.

The end users get a physical form from the field tech and then input the information into a work order through the maintenance module as well as time & expense. So I wanted an external file that could get imported in. I am sitting with the end user tomorrow to actually work with them while they enter the information.

I read on how to set up a trace and can have her run it through and then get back to you and talk to you later tomorrow. Would that be ok?

1 Like