Updateable DashBoard for Time and Expense

It’s me again. I have an updateable BAQ that I have working to a degree. I want to eventually make it into a updateable dashboard. The dashboard basically is a time and expense entry screen without having to go to the TIME and Expense Module. Here is my question, is there a way that we enter the necessary information (clock in date, time, etc.) but the LaborHedSeq automatically generates an id? We will know the job and other details but in order to show in the table don’t we need a unique LaborHedSeq? If this is something that cannot be done, then I need to figure out a simpler way to enter the techs time for the end user.

Thanks,

Charles

Hi Charles,

There are other tables that get written to when you use TEE. The updateable dashboard should only be used if it is necessary to change an existing record.
I think what you are trying to do is more of a customization project as opposed to an updateable BAQ/Dashboard.

Ken,

It is a project. I am aware of the tables that are getting written. EmpBasic, LaborHed, LaborDtl, & EmpExpense. The only table we are not writing to is EmpExpense. What are your thoughts on a dashboard with different grid views that can be updated? Using the TEE is time consuming for the end users and are looking for an easy way to enter the data. Does that make more sense?

Charles

Another vote for Mobile Time and Expense Entry?!!!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that would be ideal as the techs are in the field. Downside, is they may not have service.

Word on the street (safe harbor) is that Epicor has caught the Progressive Web App bug which is good because, if designed properly, they will work offline. Again, you would have to code for that but it is doable.

Mark W.

1 Like

In the meantime, any thoughts on how I can give the end users a dashboard to enter the data?

Not ideal but we have created Excel spreadsheets with each employees active jobs/operations (Projects, Phases and operations in our case because most of these people are Projects users) and then used DMT to upload them. You have to handle corrections at load time.

Mark W.

2 Likes

No it’s not ideal. I’ll keep working on it. There has to be a way to do this.

Make a dashboard, then code to the trace when you make an entry in the base system. I’ve done it to replace MES work queue. Check out this thread. Mine doesn’t handle the header, because they are clocked in, but the example that Jose gives does.

Brandon,

I will review the thread. My knowledge on this subject is limited so I may need a bit more help after going through the thread. Please bear with me if I ask a lot of questions.

Thanks,

Charles

Yeah, it’s not “simple”, and requires some C# knowledge. I’m not a coder and am just starting to be able to do this type of stuff, but it’s takes a while to understand everything.

Do you have any experience with basic customizations?

Very basic knowledge. I’ve done dashboards but this will be my most complex I need to do. C# is not something I have dealt with a lot.

It will be a challenge for sure. I would recommend trying to work on some simpler customization (not just making a dash board, but actually customizing a dashboard that has been deployed as an assembly) first. But I guess you have to start somewhere!

That’s a plan. I will try and let you know what I do. I think the biggest problem is get the system to add the laborseq record. Basically when the end user creates the clock in a labor record should be created. I was looking at the thread and the trace addresses this correct?

The LaborHed record is created upon Clock In for the day. The LaborDtl records are connected to it. The Business Object will create the sequence numbers for you. Don’t forget your labor type (production, project, etc.). The Data Dictionary viewer (and the trace) will guide you. And if you don’t have Auto Approve, make sure to approve your entries if you’re not using task-based approval. TEE is one of the more complex transactions to duplicate I’m afraid.

Mark W.

Mark,

I have the basic BAQ setup but The trace and Data Dictionary viewer are new to me. Here is my BAQ. Can you tell if this is correct so far?

I am unsure if I have all the right fields that need to be updated.

Like @Banderson suggests, start with the Trace. It shows all of the business objects and their methods used as well as the datasets that are getting passed back and forth. Also, all of this is explained in the ICE Tools user guide. Live it. Love It. Learn it. :wink:

Mark W.

Just downloaded 10.2 version from EpicWeb. I’m reading it now.

1 Like

I just had a thought… What if I could produce a spreadsheet input and use service connect to input the data? Would that work? I may be grasping at straws but trying to find a way for them to use an Excel Spreadsheet and then use service connect to do the hard work…

Or am I completely of my rocker?