Tracking Dimensional Inventory

Good chance that functionality was something from V8 - that was replaced by multiple UOMs.

When we were on V8 we looked into a solution to track cable that we use. It wasn’t rare to have several reels with a few hundred feet each. Jobs could require anywhere from 10 to 1,000 feet - but it had to be continuous. So we wanted something that direct us to which reel to use to minimize the scrap.

Anywho … Might not have been part of AMM

Hmm, didn’t think it through very well. I was just thinking a configurator could automatically select the lot number / serial number suitable for the job. But it sounds like you haven’t even got to the point were you are trying to select materials. Sorry.

1 Like

How about by Bin? Make as many bins as you need, and do some BPM magic to prevernt receiving or issuing qtys to/from bins that don’t match the bin’s “length”

Wouldn’t even need to physically separate the parts

1 Like

hmm that’s not a terrible idea… so have them sotore all the pieces of the same size in the same bins… I mean 11K bins… LoL but … could work…
Though I wonder what having 11K bins would do to Epicor …

What do you think the main issue with 11k bins would be? I wonder if you could set it up so the bins were automatically created when there was pieces of the correct size and then deleted when empty… If there were only a few sizes at a time that might help keep the bin count low.

1 Like

I would guess a similar performance issue… but maybe in different areas… maybe worth a shot.
IE Part Tracker… would have to load (ostensibly) 11K records per warehouse , per plant…

can you delete a bin after its used in a PartTran record?

I don’t know, I was just thinking out loud because I think this is an interesting problem :slight_smile:

The idea situation is if we could have “arbitrary” attribute at PartBin / PartTran level… (like Length, Width etc)
Kind of like Lot , PCID do… You can same SKU, same UOM but different partbin record for each different Lot , PCID

So if you wanted to use bins for what they are actually meant to be used for, what then?

1 Like

Such negativity @Hally :laughing: JK

I know, but it does kind of remind me of Cinderellas step sister trying to put on her shoe.

2 Likes

To understand this better, you’re saying they have something like a single part, that may be one of 11,000 unit lengths, and want:

1. To be able to track the QOH of each length independently
  2. Only allow single lengths to fullfil a job requirements
    a. A job needs a 10-1/6" length of this tube, so any QOH of shorter lengths would not be able to satisfy this demand
  3. Are the tubes “made” to a desired length, or is it a semi-random output from the manufacturing process

Right! And the tubes are bought in whatever length and stored in inventory. Once cut you get now 2 pieces of length x and y which needs to be inventoried / available to a job that may need something of equal or lesser length.

Bin records by themselves aren’t anything to worry about (save for searches that have a “Show all Bins” option).

The bulk would be in the PartBin records, and THOSE are destroyed when a QOH goes to 0.

You could suggest storing them vertically with a height strip next to them. Then when they need something for a job they can just eyeball whats in stock.

:joy::joy::rofl:

I have in the past suggested just tracking whole feet… or even half feet… so you always go to the pile that is within ± a foot… but that’s never been accepted as a solution…

If they have people there that can follow directions to that level of detail, I wanna work there! I can’t even get people to pick a bin to ship something from. I can’t imagine trying to get them to pick a specific stick out of a pile.

I’ll be interested to see what kind of solution you come up with. Personally, I think that you need to integrate a nesting software. There are ones out there that will track individual pieces.

4 Likes

I’m watching this thread with interest too :slight_smile:

1 Like

We actually had a part number for a cable that had the suffix “-SHORT PIECES” where the useable scrap from a 5000 FT reel would be transferred to. It was a nightmare. Nobody ever bothered to find a useable piece. But accounting didn’t want to take the Inventory hit.