Track report styles used

Is there a way to log the style used when users run a report?

Appending to a UD table would be acceptable.

Ideally it would log:

• Date
  • Time
  • User
  • ReportID (Ex: OrderAck, ARForm, POForm, etc…)
  • ReportStyleNum (Ex: 1, 1001, 1002, etc…)
  • DataDef (Ex: OrderAck, OrderAck_001, etc)
  • Calling program (Ex: Order Entry, Order Tracker, etc …)
  • Report file - the report “file” used by the style at the time it was called (Ex: “reports/CustomReports/SSR/SSR_20171124a.rdl”)

Extra details like rendering type (PDF, Excel Data Only, etc…) and if routing was enabled/disabled would be nice too.

But if memory serves me correctly, there’s no BPM that can trigger when a report is run.

Could you use Ice.SysTaskLog.GetNewSysTaskLog? Not sure if it has everything you need though…

Mark W.

For SSRS reports, you can run

select * from executionlog3

against the Report Server DB to get some of that info

I might go with this - as I’ve got some SQL queries already written for the executionlog3 table (for some trouble shooting, when certain very basic reports start taking 20-30 minutes to run).

Any Idea how long those entries stay in there? Does E10 purge them? Or is it by something in SQL maintenance?

You should be able to create a Data Directive BPM on the SysRpt table to monitor report creation. It won’t have everything on your list but may be a starting point.

The maintenance settings for the execution logs are stored in an XML file, as shown below, for SQL 2014 and less. For 2016 you can use the SSRS server properties in the second screenshot.

1 Like