SSRS XML Datasource

You can change the Output Location of any Report Style to export an XML file instead of creating tables in the DB. How do I change the SSRS report to use this XML file as the Data Source instead of the DB? Thanks, John

What problem are you trying to solve by not using the dataset DB?

XML data sources for SSRS reports was the ERP method in Epicor 9.05, and in E10 when we went to the data set DB method performance was improved (sometimes dramatically).

There are multiple reasons. Our Task Agent is way to unstable and we have no way to monitor or predict if a report will render or how long it will take (and we are told Epicor has no tools to do this). We also would like to be able to create a dataset from other apps and render a report that’s managed within Epicor.

It must be possible because you could use SSRS as a report viewer in E9 which I though only used XML files. Thanks so much, John

Dear John,

I haven’t tried to do this. My first experiment would be getting the XML created. Open Report Style, choose default SSRS style and choose Actions / Copy Report Style. Then change output from database to XML. Save your new style, open a PO in PO Tracker, and print it, manually choosing your test style. Remember that in Epicor 10 (at least on our server) the output XML directory may not be the same as that of log files.

I’m afraid I don’t know how to change the source of SSRS reports, but it may be possible when you open them for editing, to change their data source to your XML file.

Best
…Monty.

Are using multiple agents in case of TA issues? Or just deploying a single instance (single point of failure)?

Just a single Task Agent. We have a SQL script I can run to see if it has processed a task recently but there doesn’t seem to be any way to actually get an idea if it’s running or hung. And once it hangs there isn’t any reliable way to actually restart it.

Thanks, could you use a BAQ Report with SSRS in 9? It’s really the same method, I’m just not sure if it was actually ever possible in 9.

Changing the reports to an XML datasource wouldn’t affect what you are describing.

External datasource BAQ reports would be the in-app solution to this problem.

SSRS Portal reports (XML data source SSRS reports from within ERP) are not supported as of 10.0.700. There is a process to convert the datasource of those E905 reports that used XML for the datasource to the Dataset method that support can provide.

Every 10.1+ customer should have more than one taskagent within their production environment. Here is a post that describes some configuration options:

Okay, so if we have multiple Task Agents how do we monitor them to see if they are still processing?

Also, XML reports are supported or they won’t work? We are looking to be able to create the dataset from an outside program not call outside data, sorry I should of clarified. Thanks,