Sample Configurator

Thanks, Jim.

I realized the concept of "subtractive" configurations after reading that the Epicor design is based on either a templated or super BOM.

Even if we use the BO in order to modify the MOM, we would still need some front end tool in order to allow for the "drag and drop" configuration that the business has decided we need. That in off itself is the issue.

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <jckinneman@...> wrote:

The configurator is a business object so if you can/want to build the front end you can pass the results to the configurator which can be used to alter the Method of Manufacturing (MOM).  In effect you replace the existing User interface with one of your own.  For complex products I have done it several times, user never sees the standard configurator.  The configurator is only used for its ability to alter the MOM based on results.

The BO methods needed to populate a configurator are fairly simple, you build the configurator using the configurator designer with controls to store the results of the UI you will build and then have your custom UI use the BO.methods to populate these controls.  The results are used by Method rules to alter the MOM.  One thing to always remember is the Epicor configurator is a subtractive configurator is that it can only modify/delete existing items it can NOT ADD an item.

Jim Kinneman

Encompass Solutions, Inc

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Ok, that makes sense.

What if I wanted this functionality for those without Solid Works? For example, if a user wanted to configure a plumbing project by dragging and dropping pipes, is this possible within the configurator?

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <vic.drecchio@...> wrote:

The PLM module does precisely that.  Build a 3D drawing, press a button, and the drawing is imported into the Engineering workbench including the full BOM.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of davidlam00@...
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 11:41 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] RE: Sample Configurator

Thanks everyone.

Questions - can we do 3D modeling in the Epicor configurator? A good example is for plumbing projects. Can I build out a pipe system using the configurator with 3D modeling from Solidworks?

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <brenda@...> wrote:

I don’t have anything “simple” in the configurator, but if you have a specific idea / need, I would be more than happy to send you some screen shots and code.

Brenda

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark Wonsil
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Vantage] Sample Configurator

There are samples in the Training DB. Also, there's a Technical Reference Guide that's pretty decent on EpicWeb in the documentation section.

Mark W.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM, <davidlam00@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am researching the use of the Epicor configurator module. Does anyone have a sample they would be willing to share? It does not have to be complex. I work best by example and could use a hand.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I am researching the use of the Epicor configurator module. Does anyone have a sample they would be willing to share? It does not have to be complex. I work best by example and could use a hand.

Thanks!
There are samples in the Training DB. Also, there's a Technical Reference Guide that's pretty decent on EpicWeb in the documentation section.

Mark W.

Â
<div>

<p>Hi Everyone,<br><br>I am researching the use of the Epicor configurator module. Does anyone have a sample they would be willing to share? It does not have to be complex. I work best by example and could use a hand.<br>

Thanks!

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>

I don’t have anything “simple” in the configurator, but if you have a specific idea / need, I would be more than happy to send you some screen shots and code.

Brenda

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark Wonsil

Mark W.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Thanks everyone.

Questions - can we do 3D modeling in the Epicor configurator? A good example is for plumbing projects. Can I build out a pipe system using the configurator with 3D modeling from Solidworks?

Brenda

Mark W.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

The PLM module does precisely that. Build a 3D drawing, press a button, and the drawing is imported into the Engineering workbench including the full BOM.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of davidlam00@...

Thanks everyone.

Brenda

Mark W.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Ok, that makes sense.

What if I wanted this functionality for those without Solid Works? For example, if a user wanted to configure a plumbing project by dragging and dropping pipes, is this possible within the configurator?

The PLM module does precisely that.  Build a 3D drawing, press a button, and the drawing is imported into the Engineering workbench including the full BOM.

Thanks everyone.

Brenda

Mark W.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

The configurator is a business object so if you can/want to build the front end you can pass the results to the configurator which can be used to alter the Method of Manufacturing (MOM).  In effect you replace the existing User interface with one of your own.  For complex products I have done it several times, user never sees the standard configurator.  The configurator is only used for its ability to alter the MOM based on results.

The BO methods needed to populate a configurator are fairly simple, you build the configurator using the configurator designer with controls to store the results of the UI you will build and then have your custom UI use the BO.methods to populate these controls.  The results are used by Method rules to alter the MOM.  One thing to always remember is the Epicor configurator is a subtractive configurator is that it can only modify/delete existing items it can NOT ADD an item.

Jim Kinneman

Encompass Solutions, Inc

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Ok, that makes sense.

Thanks everyone.

Brenda

Mark W.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!