Resource calendars exceptions

We are reconfiguring our resource groups/resources to simplify our planning.

Historically we had resource groups as being groups of machines, with any specific machines that were only capable of doing a certain job specified on the route. This is how we thought we wanted to plan/schedule at go live, however this is probably a level of granularity that we don’t need/can’t support. What we really need to do at a simple level is compare shop load for a resource group/operation against known capacity. In principle our available capacity in any given area is (number of people x working hours in the calendar)

I have linked all of our employees to the relevant resource group as resources. I have created a new machine calendar with zero hours and linked all of the previous machine resources to this. If I run the shop load reports I get the correct capacity - (example 3 machines on machine calendar, 7 people on default production calendar my capacity is based on the 7 people)

However what we would like to do is use the resource calendar to manage known exceptions - if someone is going to be on holiday for weeks we put those days in an as exceptions against their resource record.

I have tried putting exceptions in, both with hours checked and hours unchecked but it seems to have no impact on the available capacity in the shop load report. What I am looking to try and do is make a day a non working day at the resource calendar level, much the same as can be done in the production calendar level.

I have also tried putting the same calendar exceptions in at the employee level, but to no avail.

Can the resource calendar exceptions work to influence the available capacity from a reporting of available capacity perspective.

If anyone has come up with an elegant solution to manage this type of thing it would be appreciated if you share. Similarly if there is an expectation on calendars specified on resource groups, resources etc or any other field that may influence this I would welcome any guidance.

James,
I am running into a similar issue. Did you find a solution to non-workday on the resource level?

Hi guys,

Oh well, been 4 years since the OP posted. Did you guys ever get this figured?

Thanks,
Dan

I can’t speak about the original post. This might be obvious, but I would make sure you have run the Generate Shop Capacity Process after you make changes to your calendars.

Hi Nate,

Thanks for commenting. I did not think the Shop Capacity Process was necessary with changes regarding the calendar. I can make Calendar Exceptions at the Resource Group level (without running the Shop Capacity Process) and it indeed changed the capacity on my Shop Load Report. I tried to do the same at the Resource level, but the Shop Load capacity remained the same.

Update: I ran the Generate Shop Capacity Process as you suggested but still no dice.

Thanks,
Dan

You’re probably right. Who really knows how this black magic works! You could also look at the processes under the Conversion Workbench. There are special processes in there for rebuilding load and capacity records. These have been helpful for me recently.
Good luck!

1 Like

Did you ever figure this out? im having the same issue with MRP jobs being created for days flagged with an exception on the calendar.