Regenerate Data Model while DB is in use

Is there any danger to regenerating the data model (because UD fields were added), while people are using the system?

And what about letting users use it in between regenerating the data model and restarting IIS?

I would highly be against this as you are talking about regenerating your entire data structure for the database while active user sessions and active transactions are taking place. I have always informed the company as to when a regen was needing to take place and we allocated down time for it. As you never know what may occur.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve always done. But was curious as the Regen Data Model function is run within the Epicor Admin Console, which would have access to see if there were active sessions. Since the Admin Console doesnā€™t even give you a warning about doing it while sessions are active - and the fact that you donā€™t need to stop the App instance - I thought maybe it was designed to be performed ā€œon the flyā€.

Do.
Not.
Do.
It.

10 Likes

But how do you REALLY feel about it Nathan lol

how @aidacra really feels https://media0.giphy.com/media/KmTnUKop0AfFm/giphy-downsized.gif

3 Likes

Fair point, and one that I will get corrected for 10.2.300. There should be a message telling you not to proceed if there are active user sessions.

1 Like

So youā€™re saying I should add "Prevent Data Model Regeneration while sessions are active " to the Feature Requests and Suggestions category? :slight_smile:

No need, this one I can push through with just my force of will :slight_smile:

3 Likes

While theyā€™re updating the Admin Console, can you have the sorts for date and time columns actually be by date(or time) and not the string displayed.

1 Like

Serious follow-up question ā€¦

Should the App instance be stopped before running the Data Model Regen?

(If for no other reason than to prevent people from logging in while the regen is in process)

That is what I would recommend, yes.

That is odd,

The Companny from which we bought Epicor and who installed, trained and supported us have told us that you can do a regenerate data model while users are in the systemā€¦ But is is the Recycle IIS that was the action to make sure no one is running active tasksā€¦ If there is no active task, recycle!

We have been doing that for the last 3 years !!!

I guess we got lucky!

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Pierre

emoticon_stirpot

@aidacra has heart attacks when he seeā€™s ā€œIISRESETā€

IISRESETs makes Dawson sad. LOOK AT THAT FACE!! Please donā€™t make Dawson sad.

2 Likes

This has been discussed previously. See this thread for Best Practice on Data Model Regeneration.

2 Likes

Worse - I have been told the same thing from an Epicor support person in the Monterrey officeā€¦I found a polite way to say No to that idea.

@Rich is dead on.

I need more time to go on about the life cycle of the app server and how the data model fits into that, etc than I have at the moment. Needless to say - the DM regen is an app pool recycle - everything cached needs to be torn down and stood back up again on the server.

I have had some folks say they can do things while developing on a stand alone box and they can - because they are making changes that force the app pool to restart with what they are doing so itā€™s ā€˜safeā€™ - in the sense that the thing is automatically restarting! Unfortunately things get misunderstood when you play telephoneā€¦

Iā€™ve been adding some custom fields lately. On Sunday I performed a regen while MRP was running, figuring if it had a problem Iā€™d just kick it off again. When performing IIS reset it usually gives no warning. When trying to perform IIS reset while MRP was running, I did get a warning, something to the effect that long running process that go beyond the timeout window would be aborted. 10.2.300.5 at the time.