Progress-> SQL dump and restore or E10 conversion scripts

Clive,

much water has pass in the Jordan since we last talk…

company is expanding rapidly – let’s connect offline

motty

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

HI Motty,

An interesting post, I thought all the Wind River companies (and ex) were all using SQL Server, none were on Progress ?.

Thanks.

Clive.

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <mseal@...> wrote:

I’m looking into the challenges of moving a Progress 9.04 into  SQL - 9.05

Are there ‘easy’ scripts that can move the data into SQL and upgrade the dB at same time or would I need to convert in-place (9.04), then run an upgrade to 9.05?

If anyone has scripts that can help, I would welcome them.

Also, I hear E10 with have a converter/upgrade tools that will move older progress version into E10-SQL   does anyone know anything about this and if so, would that have the option to move to E9.05-SQL too?

Thanks

Motty

Are there ‘easy’ scripts that can move the data into SQL and upgrade the dB at same time or would I need to convert in-place (9.04), then run an upgrade to 9.05?

Also, I hear E10 with have a converter/upgrade tools that will move older progress version into E10-SQL   does anyone know anything about this and if so, would that have the option to move to E9.05-SQL too?

Thanks

Motty

I’m almost certain that as far as things go with Epicor moving from PG to SQL in E905 or earlier is completely unsupported unless Epicor Professional Services assists with the process.

If those ramblings of E10 are true, it might be worth an ask to your CAM to see if they can confirm that that type of migration is supported that easily.

Joshua Giese

CIO

920.437.6400 Ext. 337

Site ID: 27450-E905700B2-SQL64

Wisconsin Converting, Inc.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of mseal@...
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:33 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] Progress-&gt; SQL dump and restore or E10 conversion scripts

Thanks

Motty

Epicor will migrate your database for a fixed cost. Each pass is 1500.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 16, 2013, at 1:57 PM, "Joshua Giese" <jgiese@...> wrote:

I’m almost certain that as far as things go with Epicor moving from PG to SQL in E905 or earlier is completely unsupported unless Epicor Professional Services assists with the process.

If those ramblings of E10 are true, it might be worth an ask to your CAM to see if they can confirm that that type of migration is supported that easily.

Joshua Giese

CIO

920.437.6400 Ext. 337

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of mseal@...

Thanks

Motty

What exactly is a 'pass'?  Is that the conversion of the entire DB from Progress to SQL?

--Matt Caldwell

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Epicor will migrate your database for a fixed cost. Each pass is 1500.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 16, 2013, at 1:57 PM, "Joshua Giese" <jgiese@...> wrote:

Joshua Giese

CIO

920.437.6400 Ext. 337

Thanks

Motty

Having done several of these before, don’t do the move and upgrade at the same time.

Do the upgrade, then do the move once the upgrade is taken care of and live in the system, it makes it easier for trouble shooting problems so you know whether it’s an SQL issue, or it’s an upgrade issue.

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:33 AM

Thanks

Motty

HI Motty,

An interesting post, I thought all the Wind River companies (and ex) were all using SQL Server, none were on Progress ?.

Thanks.

Clive.

Thanks

Motty

We are looking to do something very similar for XL connect users.  We are trying to avoid using Sonic at all costs after hearing all the stories.  

The tool we are looking at is http://www.ispirer.com/products/progress-to-sql-server-migration 

They offer a one month trial version, and if you look at their top testimonial you will see why we consider this to be a valid product.

John 

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <clive.1972@...> wrote:

HI Motty,

Thanks.

Clive.

Thanks

Motty