PO Release GL Default Account

Hi,

In E10 PO release, our purchasing manager needs to click on get default to assing a GL account. Any way we have it where it loads automatically instead of cliking the button like in previous versions?

Jose

Part Class can assign a GL acct for expensing.

BTW - you only need to assign a GL acct to bypass the one setup at the company level.

Thanks Calvin. i already set up the part class to have the gl account. i am referring to the step in PO release. When a new PO release is entered the GL account used to populate in the GL section. Now in order to do that, the manager needs to click default on the GL for that to populate. Not sure if am explaining myself correctly.

What I’m saying is that you don’t have to enter anything unless you want something different than the default.

I think the Get Default button is just so you can return to the default GL shoukd you change it to some other value.

Gl will populate on inventory items if the gl is associated. Other POs you need to fill out i believe. Unless you have expense account filled in on inventory/wip gl

Or PartClass

thank you gentlemen! I will test this out! found it weird that i needed to click on get defaults but i now understand, it associated it without clicking it if it has a part class Gl or inventory/wip gl account! Thank you!

You were correct! but i have another issue, in vantage, the GL account would change based on the location(site) they were in, So this part class had a specific account, but when the po was enter in another site in vantage the gl code would change.

In e10 i see it goes to the same site even if i create the new po from a different site. What changed in E10 regarding this? Or where can i go to correct this?

Thank you

Jose

First off, it doesn’t matter which site the PO is created in. It’s the receiving site that determines the GL acct used. Having said that, I’m not sure how Drop Ships are handled. Since the receipt and subsequent issue happen at the same time, those probably temporarily use the site selected as the initial ship to, prior to entering the drop ship info.

The GL Account used during a receipt can be affected by many things:

• PO LIne Type: To Inv, To Job, Other
  • Part Class on the PO Line.
  • Plant and warehouse received to

To Inv:

• A part must be Qty Bearing to be purchased to Inventory
  • Settings in the Part class and Vendor can overide the company wide Inventory Acct
  • If setup, the receiving plant and/or warehouse can override the company wide Inventory Acct. It may even just override the Division segment of the GL acct used.

To Job:

• A part to bought to a Job, must be non-Qty Bearing, or a Part on the Fly
  • Settings in the Part class and Vendor can override the company wide WIP Acct
  • If setup, the receiving plant and/or warehouse can override the company wide WIP Acct. It may even just override the Division segment of the WIP GL acct used.

Other:

• Part on the Fly on non-QtyBearing Part, Not bought to a job.
  • Manually setting the Part class could override the Company wide default Expense Acct
  • If setup, the receiving plant and/or warehouse can override the company wide Expense Acct. It may even just override the Division segment of the GL acct used.

Here’s our settings that relate to PO Receipts

In Company Config / Modules / All Modules / GL Control

• Inv, COS and WIP
    • Inventory: 1151-00-01 (INVENTORY CHAL)
    • WIP Material: 1152-00-01 (WIP CHAL)
  • Purchase Type
    • Credit: 1151-00-01 (INVENTORY CHAL)
    • Debit: 1151-00-01 (INVENTORY CHAL)
    • Credit (Expense): 6001-00-01 (EXPENSE)
    • Debit (Expense): 6001-00-01 (EXPENSE)
    • Finished Goods: 1153-00-01 (FIN GOODS INVENTORY)
    • WIP: 1152-00-01 (WIP CHAL)

In Site Config / Modules / Inventory Mngmnt / Transfer Definition / GL Control

• Plant Transfer
    • In-Transit: 1165-00-01 (Inventory in Transit CHAL)

(we have 4 sites and all use this same GL control setting)

In Site Maint / GL Control

• Division
    • Division: ____-11-__(< blank>)

The above (for site GUTH) is repeated for the 3 remaining sites

• CHAL:____-00-__.
  • HOUS: ____-17-__.
  • DENV: ____-16-__.

In Part Class / GL Controls

• ClassID BTOP - (Buy to Order Part)
    • Inventory Expense: 1166-00-01 (BUY TO ORDER PART CHAL)
  • ClassID SHSP - (SHOP SUPPLIES)
    • Inventory Expense: 5601-00-01 (SHOP SUPPLIES)
  • ClassID FGDS - (FINISHED GOODS)
    • Inventory Expense: 1153-00-01 (FIN GOODS INVENTORY)

So a PO for a stocked item entered in site CHAL, and recieved in GUTH, would to hit 1151-11-01 when received. Because the Site GL Control of ____-11-__, would replace the -00- in 1151-00-01 (the company wide Inventory acct)

If that PO’s line had a part class of FGDS, the receipt would make the GL transaction hit 1153-11-01.
The Part Class overrides the 1151-00-01 with 1153-00-01, and the site replaces the -00- with -11-.

Make sense?

Thank you Calvin! I appreciate the detailed explanation. makes total sense. I have a similar setup as you. Our parts to stock have a part class with a GL Control. So i setup 2 POs and created them in 2 different sites. I then created a receipt in the two different sites assuming assuming the site would change the -00- with the -11- but it did not. When i check the general ledger bith receipts posted to -00- site even though i received them in different sites. I will review it again and try to do it again, maybe i missed something.

The logic worked in our old version (Vantage) just like you described it so thats why i was surprised to see the receipts in one site.

Will get back to you!

Thank you again!

Jose

Just an FYI - We do not have GL Controls set for any of the Warehouses at any of the sites. Only at the Site/Plant level do we use the division type GL control.

Interesting note from the PostingEnging Tech Ref Guide:

By default, the Epicor application uses the posting rules originally defined for the 8.03 application. Because of this, 8.03 users can upgrade with no changes to their posting rules. These standard posting rules insures that a base set of rules is always initially available within each company. The standard posting rules contain the department and division account segments used within the 8.03 application. Later you can delete or modify these posting rules as you need.

And I recall having to do something about importing the rules, before we got the division thing working

Maybe this is the issue

Sorry for the late response Calvin, i been out of the office!

So i am trying to figure out where we have gone wrong. When i first did the conversion, i marked the posting rules as extended instead of standard based on the instructions. I should try implemeting the DB again and marking the posting rules as standard?

I checked the Company Config Gl controls under Inv, COS, WIP and see the inventory account (to keep with your example) as 1151-00-01.

under Site Maint GL controls, i added the division for all three sites as they were missing.

In part Class for the particular part i am testing with, i see the account 1151-00-01.

So i create a po in site CHAL, and i receive in GUTH, the GL transaction still showing in the GL under CHAL even though i received it in GUTH.

Did you run into this issue? I have triple checked the settings you mentioned above, but cant get the site GL control to change

Jose

These are just guesses, but I think you need the Standard rules, and leave the Div segment of the PartClass blank.

Thanks Calvin. Will give this a try!

I restored the DB and chose Standard posting rules and the same error happened. The Default account for the PO is the part Class Gl code no matter if i create/receive it in another division. Anything else you can suggest?

my COA is Div-Dept-Chart so XX-XX-XXXX

Div

Dept

Chart
etc

The Part Class default code for an inventory item is 10-00-1000. The company config GL code for Cos/WiP is 10-00-1020.

When i am in Division 20. i create the PO (dont click get defaults) Save the Po. then i receive the PO under division 20.

So the receipt should be coded to 20-00-1000 but it still gets coded to 10-00-1000.

I tried removing the Division from Part Class but when i do that, and create a receipt under the same conditions as above, the GL is the company default account of 10-00-1020.

Jose

based off this from the tech guide, i shouldnt have to do anything to my posting rules to get it working as it was converted from 8.03 posting rules… Spinning in circles.

Here’s my settings

1. Site Maintenance: GL Control, Type: Division
    a. Site CHAL, GLC Code “default”. GLC “default” has Division acct set to ____-00-__ (1st and 3rd fields are blank)
    b. Site GUTH, GLC Code “11”. GLC “11” has Division acct set to ____-11-__
    c. Site DENV, GLC Code “16”. GLC “16” has Division acct set to ____-16-__
    c. Site HOUS, GLC Code “17”. GLC “17” has Division acct set to ____-17-__

2. Part Class Maint: GL Control, Type: Part Class
    a. Class BTOP, GLC Code “BTOP”. GLC “BTOP” has Inv/Expense acct set to 1166-00-01 (all other acct contexts are blank)
    b. Class SPLM, GLC Code “FINGDS”. GLC “FINGDS” has Inv/Expense acct set to 1153-00-01 (all other acct contexts are blank)

If I create a PO in site GUTH, and set the lines Part Class to BTOP, the GL Exp acct shows 1166-11-01.
If I create a PO in Site CHAL, and set the lines Part Class to BTOP, the GL Exp acct shows 1166-00-01. If I change the Site (on the release) to GUTH and save, it stays 1166-00-01 Clicking the Get Defaults changes it to 1166-11-01.