Permanently Pin Field Help Open & Set Column Width

Is there any way for a user to permanently pin field help open for all windows, and set column width?

If not, would that be a popular enhancement? I could see it being used by Dev’s daily, and most users when they are new and learning Epicor.

I’d wager that 20 times a day I have to do it as I’m troubleshooting or developing. Multiply that out by the customer-base, and it’s a lot of time that could be saved with an option under the user preferences.

1. Click on Help
  2. Click on Field Help
  3. Click on the Pin before it disappears on you
  4. Click on Technical Details
  5. Click and Drag the left column’s right edge about 30 pixels so I can see the field name box fully.
  6. Click and Drag the left column’s top edge up about 100 pixels to see most of field help tech details…
    …And repeat on every module I’m using/learning.

It’d be nice if I memorized all my tables and fields… :wink:

1 Like

Make changes to UI like column widths, column order, pins etc then do save layout, then open customization, change at least one value then save customization

1 Like

Hi Chris,

I think I’m missing a step somewhere… Would this be a form-by-form customization?

I opened Method Directives, pinned left column open, opened field help, opened tech details, resized the left column (not a list view column), and then selected Options>Save Layouts. The field help column still autohides.

I closed Method Directives, turned on developer mode, and opened it up, then selected my personalization, but nothing was pinned open. I then went to Tools>Customization, got an error (I’m guessing related to not having any customizations for Method Directives, so I saved one), and see epiTreeViewPanel1.

When I resize the horizontal bar so Field Help has more room, the vertical size adjusts in the customization window, but it defaults to full 100% when I re-open it. It also doesn’t seem to attach field help and tech details, which requires opening it every time.

What step did I miss?

Getting there. Thanks for the help!

Oh, i dont guess we have the same ability to do this here since that screen is not customizable.

I created an ‘Ideas’ for this, if it’d be useful for us developers (and new users!): https://epicor-manufacturing.ideas.aha.io/ideas/ERP-I-515

As a developer, I need to open field help’s technical details on nearly every window I open. If Epicor can add a default to the User Account Security Maintenance that will always open windows with the field help shown, it’d replace several clicks no every window. Or to have the left column state saved with Tools > Save Layouts.

Current steps to open Technical Details:

1. Help, wait for the menu to open
  2. Field Help, (usually after it auto-hides)
  3. Click on Field Help on the left edge to re-open
  4. Pin it
  5. Click on Technical Details
  6. Grab the column bar to widen it (since it it clips the EpiBinding text box)
1 Like

Any Update to this issue?

The idea still says open-gauging interest but it’s likely dead, Epicor has already said they will not do any enhancements on classic and I think this falls in that category.

There is another idea to keep kinetic field help turned on that is also gauging interest but doesn’t have as many votes, https://epicor-manufacturing.ideas.aha.io/ideas/UX-I-1 Maybe Tim will stop by and tell us the probability it will get done.

I noticed as I am testing 2022 that is now a whole extra click to turn on the field help, which makes the lack of an “always on” feature even more annoying.

1 Like

The Kinetic idea got my last 3 votes @timshuwy

I just checked…
We promoted https://epicor-manufacturing.ideas.aha.io/ideas/ERP-I-515 (32 votes) to Epic KNTC-E-447 several months ago. It is related to the idea https://epicor-manufacturing.ideas.aha.io/ideas/UX-I-1 (23 votes) as well. The UX idea will cause the DESIGN team to design the new UX that supports pinned ideas, where the other idea is to actually use the feature. In a way, these are duplicate ideas.

In any case, these two ideas are in the running to make it into 2023.2 release. They are NOT dead.

1 Like

@timshuwy - What does promoted to ‘Epic KNTC-E-447’ mean? Idea ERP-I-515 shows as ‘Open, Gauging Interest’.

If that’s promoted to be developed, can I remove my +2 votes and use them on another idea?

Thanks!

I would rather you keep the votes there until it has been accepted by development. We promoted it to an Epic in order for Dev to “size” the epic. we have to know the size in order to know if it will fit into the number of hours available for the release. Your votes help prioritize.
As the Epics are accepted and completed, the status changes to “closed - coming next release” and that will automatically release your votes.

Note that just yesterday in a discussion between two EPICS, there was a decision made to keep one, and not the other based purely on how many votes (all other factors being equal). in that case, we had two “important” features… one had over 80 votes, and the other had less than 10. (80 wins!)