Part flagged as Qty Bearing AND Buy To Order

It seems like the Qty Bearing(QB) flag overrules the BTO flag on a part.

Kind of …

A part that is BTO and QB,

• Shows up on a sales order release as “Buy Top Order”
  • Appears on the PO as a Buy For Inventory.
  • The PO Receipt requires enter bin location, and creates a PUR-STK tran
  • The ship qty on the Packer appears in the From Inventory block, and requires a Bin Num It creates a STK-CUS

A part that is just BTO :slight_smile:

• Shows up on a sales order release as “Buy Top Order”
  • Appears on the PO as a Buy For OTHER.
  • The PO Receipt does not require bin location, and creates a PUR-UKN tran
  • The ship qty on the Packer appears in the From Inventory block, and does require a Bin Num It creates a STK-CUS

My issue is that the BTO only part creates an Inventory Transaction.

1 Like

Why is that an issue? Non qty bearing basically means that the dollars go into the GL not tied to inventory. Then the order invoice would pull them back out. Thats why your stock to customer has 0 cost in it. Your running total stays at 0.

That’s exactly what I expect.

But we had an instance where the shipment actually drove the inventory negative.

That’s interesting. So in your test, it worked as expected, but you saw a case where it went negative? Sounds like a bug. Has it happened more than this example? Can you recreate it?

I’m also wondering why you want a buy to order part to be non-qty bearing? For us the stuff we want non-qty bearing is the stuff that is too cheap to worry about and too numerous to be easy to count. A buy to order part doesn’t really meet those criteria, so we would just have them flow through inventory. Not really a big deal except for the “have to ship from the same bin it was received to” pain in the butt.

I think what happened was that the part was originally an On-The-Fly Part (no part master entry) on an order, and thus BTO. Then someone decides that we’ll be using that on more orders in the future, and decides to make it a Part, and sets it to Qty Bearing.

If the part entry is created while the BTO part is “on hand” (Rcvd, but not yet shipped), then the future shipment of the BTO receipt creates the Inv Transaction and actually reduces QOH.

I was trying to figure out if the BTO setting on the Part Master changed any of the part tran processing. It appears that it does not.

The only “bug” that I think exists, is the fact that you can select Qty Bearing AND BTO.

1 Like

When we receive a true OTF-BTO part the receipt automatically populates the Bin with the one set as t he default Bin in Site Config.

But when we ship it, the packer doesn’t show a warehouse or bin

Fair enough. We don’t have to many of those other than goofy employee purchases or something, so I guess I haven’t seen that. Our parts orders are just about always replacement parts so they are in the part master. Good to know though!

1 Like

Did you ever look at why the STK-CUS is a zero cost? Surely a BTO should take the cost of the item through to Cost of Sales when you have shipped it??

Sure miss @ckrusen he needs to come back on the forums.

1 Like