One large job or multiple small jobs - Vantage 8.03

We've used parent/child jobs in both Vantage 8.03 and Epicor 9.05.  You can set the last operation on the child job to do an automatic job-to-job receipt and omit going through stock and issuing to the job.  What's nice about this you can see the make to job demand on the child job and maintain that visibility with the linking.

In 8.03 the finished product on the child job is going to transfer as a material cost to it's parents.  If you upgraded to 9.05 there is an option in the company config to maintain the cost buckets on these.

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Vantage Nation,

We are trying to determine if it's feasible to create more small jobs that can be closed sooner versus putting everything under one large job  that can sometimes stay open for months at our facility.  Can a "child-job" reference a "parent-job".  Can Vantage work this way?  If so, what are the downsides? Would we lose any traceability this way?   Is there any documentation that outlines how this works that any of you know of that you could share with us.

If we use jobs as sub-sets of jobs (a master job = sales order line item with separate sub-jobs for: tooling, stamping, machining, welding) doesn’t the labor / material stay separated on the sub jobs or is it all rolled together when attached to the master job?

Mike Abell

Information Technology Manager
Flexial - BOA Group - Cookeville, Tennessee
Office:   931.432.1853 ext 302
Mobile:  615.418.3055

email:  MAbell@...

Vantage Nation,

We are trying to determine if it's feasible to create more small jobs that can be closed sooner versus putting everything under one large job  that can sometimes stay open for months at our facility.  Can a "child-job" reference a "parent-job".  Can Vantage work this way?  If so, what are the downsides? Would we lose any traceability this way?   Is there any documentation that outlines how this works that any of you know of that you could share with us.

If we use jobs as sub-sets of jobs (a master job = sales order line item with separate sub-jobs for: tooling, stamping, machining, welding) doesn’t the labor / material stay separated on the sub jobs or is it all rolled together when attached to the master job?

Mike Abell

I am not sure about vantage but I know in E9 you can create demand links of make to job.  I'm not sure if this removes all parts and materials that were originally on the job to the child job or not, but that should be pretty easy to figure out with testing. 

I'm kind of in a similar situation. We have a very large job with multiple large sub assemblies that i would like to break out from that job. This isn't really possible if the job was created from a sales order, which most of ours are. So if you figure something out please post your solution. 

-Bobby

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <mabell@...> wrote:

Vantage Nation,

Mike Abell

Epicor and Vantage can handle the small jobs no problem.

You set up the Parent Job with a BOM of the child parts….

Then when MRP runs it will create all the jobs for the child parts and for the part part.

The child job can be built directly to the parent job, however, this becomes very tedious to manage, I would recommend build to stock… then when a child job is completed it is moved to stores, then issued to the parent job.

Very easy to manage, Epicor will do all the heavy lifting… create all the jobs… and give you suggestions as to whether expedite or postpone released jobs.

We have 7 level assemblies… meaning level 7 goes into 6… 6 into 5… 5 into 4… and so on until the top level, and Epicor manages every job perfectly.

If you don’t use MRP, then you would have to use the timephase reports to see where you have to expedite or postpone jobs.

Marco Vissuet

Systems Engineer

Pacific Contours Corporation

Cell (619)507-2311

Anaheim Office (714) 693-1260

San Diego Office (619)670-3900

Fax (714) 693-1252

mvissuet@...

http://www.pacificcontours.com/

"The information contained herein may be subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) Warning: - This document contains data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2751, et seq.) as amended, or the Export Administration Act (Title 50, U.S.C., App 2401 et seq.) as amended. Violations of these export laws are subject to severe criminal and civil penalties.  Disseminate in accordance with provisions of DoD Directive 5230.25.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ralmon@...
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:45 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] RE: One large job or multiple small jobs - Vantage 8.03

I am not sure about vantage but I know in E9 you can create demand links of make to job.  I'm not sure if this removes all parts and materials that were originally on the job to the child job or not, but that should be pretty easy to figure out with testing. 

I'm kind of in a similar situation. We have a very large job with multiple large sub assemblies that i would like to break out from that job. This isn't really possible if the job was created from a sales order, which most of ours are. So if you figure something out please post your solution. 

-Bobby

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <mabell@...> wrote:

Vantage Nation,

Mike Abell

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 8980 (20131029) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

This is basically a company decision and everyone has a different point of view.

I prefer small jobs that open and close quickly.   My reasoning is that jobs will be review and inventory or production problems can be caught early.

Most of our  end items jobs are built to order and linked to the Sales Order.

As far as ” Can a "child-job" reference a "parent-job". “  there are so many variations on doing this –

You can –

1.)    Make a Job to a Job

2.)    Change the Pull as Assembly flag in Engineering workbench

I am not a big fan of either since you can lose visibility when it comes to yield, scrap etc and whether any of these subassemblies are stocked for spares.

I am sure there are a lot of other opinions out there –

It is nice to have a forum to learn how other companies have solved their problems.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mike Abell
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2013 6:51 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] One large job or multiple small jobs - Vantage 8.03

Vantage Nation,

Mike Abell