.NET Framework-->.NET Core for Epicor?

This is probably a stupid question, but it looks like .NET Framework has matured on this last update and will no longer be developed further while .NET Core will go on.

Does this have any implication for Epicor in the future?

No, not really. On every podcast that I have listened to that has had a Microsoft employee, they’ve say that .Net is NOT going away. .Net Core is the future but it is not feature complete as 4.7+. Microsoft is committed to cross-platform development and this is .Net Core. .Net is too tied to Windows.

Could Epicor redo the server side in .Net Core? Sure. Might be a new and improved Web API but it would be a Big project though.

There are converters for it already I Don’t know how “convertible” it is. I know that they just implemented EF (Entity Framework) and a few other things… It would be fun to run the Epicor server code through the converter and see what it comes back with compatibility wise @Bart_Elia @Edge
I bet with some minor tweaks it could be done…
Out of curiosity I ran the Client side code for ABCCode (simple one) through the portability analyzer

Here’s what I saw for ABCCode Entry (Client Form)

Looks like 89% compatibility with Core2 and 100% compatibility with Core 3

Obviously this is a VERY small sample… but I if most areas are like this… I wouldn’t be surprised (or upset lol) with a Core release in vNext++++++++

PS: I have no insider knowledge on this just wondering aloud and some light unscientific testing.

3 Likes

They will eventually have to move to DotNet Core if they want to keep developing Epicor ERP, although eventually can be a really really really long time.

I’m more interested if they will ever rewrite their legacy BO’s like MRP, Posting Engine to make use of all of the modern improvements like GPU’s and persistent RAM (Intel Launches Optane DIMMs Up To 512GB: Apache Pass Is Here!).

1 Like

We track the Full .Net framework including the last release 4.8, .Net Core 2 including the upcoming 3.0 release very closely. We are always looking at future proofing your investments in our software. Nothing to disclose at this stage though on a timeline.

2 Likes