Meltdown and Spectre attacks

Anyone been following the Meltdown and Spectre attacks that came out recently? Seems like IO heavy loads will be quite affected, and I’m wondering how much SQL performance will tank. Is this on Epicor’s radar? @Bart_Elia

1 Like

I’ve followed it a little. The worst part is that even though AMD processors aren’t exposed to this issue, the O/S suppliers will make an across the board fix, independent of CPU. So AMD systems will suffer as well.

Edit: "Intel is the company most significantly affected by these problems. Spectre hits everyone, but Meltdown only hits Intel and ARM. "

2 Likes

Here is a good post from Steve Jones at SQL Server Central Critical SQL Server Patches for Meltdown and Spectre – SQLServerCentral

1 Like

Here is another link I got from Brent Ozark KB4073225 - SQL Server guidance to protect against Spectre, Meltdown and Micro-architectural Data Sampling vulnerabilities - Microsoft Support

@ckrusen I was going to call you out on it being an Intel only issue. :wink: Too easy to always abuse the big guy. It’s an amazing story and horrible security lapse.

1 Like