Kanban parts, stock or non-stock? does it matter?

So I’m working on setting up a parts warehouse/department. We are starting with a few parts and I’m working on how we segregate the supply and demand for the two different warehouses.

One of the first questions I’m trying to figure out is, does the stock/non-stock flag matter at all when setting up kanban parts?

From what I know, the stock vs non-stock out of the box only really affects purchased parts. Basically non-stock parts are bought to the job or contract, stock parts are bought to inventory.

On manufactured parts, whether or not you pull them off the shelf (or supply from another job) is set by the pull and plan as assembly on the method for parts that it goes into.

From my cursory testing with Kanban, it seems like the stock/non-stock flag doesn’t matter as far as using the kanban monitors, and parts don’t have to be set up for anything kanban even to make a Kanban reciept as long the BOM is a single level (or Phantom to get to single level)

Am I missing anything else on what the stock/non-stock flag affects in the system?

The non-stock flag is the most mislabeled field - IMHO. It’s used more for planning than actual inventory control. And the field does affect manufactured parts - somewhat.

The help for that field explains its use and how it differs for P vs M parts.

They best way I describe it to my users is that it indicates a Part that you’d rather not stock, but that you still can.

My users constant use the Non-Stock field , when they mean to use Qty Bearing.

2 Likes