IT Department Size

Thanks for the numbers Vic…makes me feel a little better about this drowning feeling…

I am a 1 man IT department with the following:

·         140 employees (40 at our plant in Philippines)

·         16 Epicor licenses and 7 MES

·         Mostly design to order products with large BOMs

·         Solidworks

·         68 workstations here and 20 in PH

·         18 Servers here and 7 in PH (all virtual)

·         I love the variety in my job but have gotten to the point that I can no longer keep up.  We outsource some of the high end IT stuff that goes over my head (I am mfg engineer by degree)

·         We currently only use a small part of Vantage and are looking at adding someone to take control, create reports, customizations, etc. and take on other software support.

I have also been talking with our local hardware, software, help desk company about the things they can do to help…they have capabilities of handling our help desk calls, network monitoring setting up new workstations, etc.  I am going to utilize those resources before bringing anyone else on staff.

Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:08 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] IT Department Size

Lance,

In a Utopian IT department, the general equation that I’ve used in the past is:  Total Computers / 40

That’s allocating a virtual 1-hour per “computered-employee” per week.  That allocates time for general desktop support (email, Windows, Office, VPN), specialized support (AutoCAD, SW, Epicor), administrative necessities (backups, email, new users, db, PBX) and some innovation time for development, etc.

Of course there is a threshold with this equation at some point with larger companies.  Other company-specific factors may impact your equation;  the literacy level of your users – some organizations have younger staff that may be more computer literate and less dependent upon IT staff when Internet Explorer crashes or the 7224 error pops up in Vantage.  Reliability/age/quality of your infrastructure and network hardware should also negatively or positively impact the equation.  Finally, outsourcing will also adjust it or you may have an old FORTRAN system which requires you need to keep “him” around just for that specialty. 

But, in general, I like to start the debate with Total_Computered_Employees ÷ 40

So for you:  150 / 4 = 3.75

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of lance@...
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:37 AM
Subject: [Vantage] IT Department Size

Hi -
I'm looking to gather data on how different organizations are sized for their IT department.

We are the following:

• 180 total employees
  • 45 Epicor licenses and 6 Epicor MES licenses
  • 150 computers on our network
  • Manufacturing environment with both MTO and ETO products built and designed here.
  • Use of Autocad and Solidworks by our engineering staff
  • About 10 physical servers and 10 virtual servers
  • One main location where most people are located - and then about 15 employees who work from their home throughout the country
  • IT Staff:  2.5 people (2 full time people and one person onsite 2 days/wk for some database work).  The 2 full time staff include myself and one other person who cover Epicor, servers, desktops/laptops, networking, phones, Exchange, SQL, etc.  We also work with a local IT support firm on some issues that are more challenging.
  •  

Looking for information on how other companies are sized for the IT department - and how well the setup you have is functioning.

We tend to have a backlog of projects and do okay when there are relatively few daily issues that come up and we're both here.  When one of us is gone (vacation, training, etc) or when there are a lot of daily issues that come up - it's easy to fall behind on all of this.  Trying to determine if we need to make any changes to our IT structure.

Thanks,
Lance

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mark Tellefson | Global IT Director | www.rapat.com

Phone: (218) 483-3344 | Toll Free: (800) 325-6377

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient and received this in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail. You are hereby notified that the copying, use or distribution of any information or materials transmitted in or with this message is strictly prohibited.
Hi -
I'm looking to gather data on how different organizations are sized for their IT department.

We are the following:
  • 180 total employees
  • Manufacturing environment with both MTO and ETO products built and designed here.
  • One main location where most people are located - and then about 15 employees who work from their home throughout the country
  • IT Staff:  2.5 people (2 full time people and one person onsite 2 days/wk for some database work).  The 2 full time staff include myself and one other person who cover Epicor, servers, desktops/laptops, networking, phones, Exchange, SQL, etc.  We also work with a local IT support firm on some issues that are more challenging.

Looking for information on how other companies are sized for the IT department - and how well the setup you have is functioning.

We tend to have a backlog of projects and do okay when there are relatively few daily issues that come up and we're both here.  When one of us is gone (vacation, training, etc) or when there are a lot of daily issues that come up - it's easy to fall behind on all of this.  Trying to determine if we need to make any changes to our IT structure.

Thanks,
Lance

Our Company:

-          Our IT department includes 2 Full-time people.

-           I am not included in that department.  I am a software developer, so I develop and maintain all customizations, Dashboards, BAQs, BPMs, BAMs, and Crystal Reporting.   

-          About 125 employees, 30-40 engineers

-          One main location and one international location that the IT guys don’t maintain but just allow access to specific network locations.

I can’t tell you about the IT hardware, but they have a nice cool (as in temperature) office and the servers have their own frigid office.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of lance@...
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 8:37 AM

Hi -

We are the following:

• 180 total employees
  •  

Thanks,
Lance

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The data attached/enclosed may contain information (including technology and technical data) which is subject to the U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). This information may not be exported, released, or disclosed to foreign persons either inside or outside the United States without first obtaining the proper U.S. export license or written authorization. In addition, the information and articles described herein are either patented or proprietary, and the copying or reproduction thereof is prohibited without ADVANCED Motion Controls prior written consent. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error), please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden. Thank you for your compliance. X3BTB534

Lance,

In a Utopian IT department, the general equation that I’ve used in the past is: Total Computers / 40

That’s allocating a virtual 1-hour per “computered-employee” per week. That allocates time for general desktop support (email, Windows, Office, VPN), specialized support (AutoCAD, SW, Epicor), administrative necessities (backups, email, new users, db, PBX) and some innovation time for development, etc.

Of course there is a threshold with this equation at some point with larger companies. Other company-specific factors may impact your equation;  the literacy level of your users – some organizations have younger staff that may be more computer literate and less dependent upon IT staff when Internet Explorer crashes or the 7224 error pops up in Vantage. Reliability/age/quality of your infrastructure and network hardware should also negatively or positively impact the equation. Finally, outsourcing will also adjust it or you may have an old FORTRAN system which requires you need to keep “him” around just for that specialty.Â

But, in general, I like to start the debate with Total_Computered_Employees ÷ 40

So for you:Â 150 / 4 = 3.75

Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:37 AM

Hi -

We are the following:

• 180 total employees
  •  

Thanks,
Lance