Handheld Change Workstation

Never heard of them before. Intetesting. I took a quick look, that might work with an Android App or windows client, but not the Epicor handheld app running on RDS, don’t think you could get a Bluetooth beacon to reach our RDS servers in Azure :grin: Nice thought @Mark_Wonsil even better than having the user to remember to change workstation. Perhaps a prompt after printing saying “Printed to…” With an option to suppress until the device changes printers, of course we have printers that have different stock, just to complicate things…

1 Like

Would be pretty cool, you could also potentially use RFID at chokepoints (ala walmart theft deterrents) to determine the zone a user was in.

Hell if you’re using wifi, I wonder if you could just determine what AP your on.

Not sure how that would work with RDP, obviously the RDP Server itself isn’t moving. You almost need to create a Native App on Windows Mobile to use Hardware API?

Im surprised @hmwillett hasnt chimed in on this Post. He probably busy with St. Patricks Day.

2 Likes

And I don’t think that Bluetooth travels that far! :rofl:

Assuming that the mobile device has Bluetooth, you could go with a different approach. Instead of the handheld choosing the workstation, have the beacon on the handheld/forklift/etc. and let other PCs report the location of the moving beacons to a service by sending an HTTP POST. When the location changes, have the service determine when to change the workstation for the device.

Mark W.

1 Like

I am curious now if push notifications from server to client are a thing.

10.2.300 has notifications but that’s all that I’m aware of and even that is just for Epicor Global Admins to communicate with Cloud Users.

Not sure what it would take to hook the System Monitor or the Client to register with an Azure Notification Hub.

In all seriousness, it’s not something I’ve had to deal with, so I haven’t put any thought to it.
We have all of our scanners tagged to specific workstations with the printer closest to that workstation assigned. It really hasn’t been an issue. On occasion, we have a user that needs to change, but it’s rare and I end up doing it for them.

Code coming soon…

First time I’ve posted something like this so please be kind…Indexing would be nice, before anyone asks

2 Likes

That was the resource with the ResourceID = “Workstation”

setButtonImage("Workstation", epiButtonC1);

private bool setButtonImage(string resID, EpiButton btnTarget)
      {
            bool flag;
            if (EpiUIImages.AllImages.ContainsKey(resID))
            {
                btnTarget.Appearance.Image = (Image)EpiUIImages.AllImages[resID];
                btnTarget.Appearance.ImageHAlign = Infragistics.Win.HAlign.Center;
                btnTarget.Appearance.ImageVAlign = Infragistics.Win.VAlign.Middle;
                btnTarget.Appearance.ImageAlpha = Infragistics.Win.Alpha.Opaque;
                btnTarget.ImageSize = new Size(24, 24);
                flag = true;
            }
            else
            {
                HandHeldMessageBox.Show(string.Format(EpiString.GetString("cannotFindImageResource"), resID));
                flag = false;
            }
			return flag;
}
1 Like