General Ledger Accounts

Is it possible to invoice customers using different GL Accounts in AR Invoice entry?

Company configuration has default GL Control Codes set up for AR and AP. However, each customer also has GL Control settings. We would like to set up each customer to use different GL Accounts. Is it possible?

Yes. The receivables side (Debit) of the transaction comes from the Customer G/L account and if blank then it will use the Company AR G/L account. On the Credit side the Product Group is used and if not set it follows this order - Sold To, Bill To, and then Company Config.

EDIT: Assuming this is shipment invoice; other types have a similar structure and there is a General Ledger Hierarchies document available on EpicWeb that shows this.

What @danbedwards said.

I’ve done it too, and what it frequently means is that in the past, the only way Finance could get customer-based reporting was by GL code… before you go to all this trouble see if your Finance people really only want to see customer-based reporting. There are LOTS of easier ways to do that than setting dozens of GL Control Codes!

Thanks for your responses, Dan and Ernie.

I was testing it in our test database but it wasn’t working. After your responses, I went over the settings again and figured out that I didn’t set the account code for the Sales context in the GL Control code. I only had the account code set up in the first context, which is collections, I think. It’s working now.