FW: Switching Servers

The overall goal was the minimum down time. Since I had a warrenty constraint I had to have a service tech make the swap so the warrenty didnt void on the server. Also, since I had to use a tech a weekend install was impractical. The new server came with 2 9 gig drives in addition to the old drive.
With the new server back in service I could transport Vantage to its new home at my convienience. I was also able to confirm functionality before bringing back on line. After that the boot drive was left with nothing but operating software and a very large virtual memory paging file. (performance improved. All told the move was quick, safe and my users were oblivious to the change. (yes i did have multiple backups on tape)

Shirley Graver
Sys Admin
Rubber Associates
From the VP at Loc Performance.
Pat Kabel

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000
To: Pat Kabel
Subject: RE: [Vantage] Switching Servers

Actually, this would work well if you were upgrading your server using the
same size Hard Drive. It does not work well if you want to move to larger
HD's, or you are going the prudent route of having a RAID set.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 11:23 AM
To: vantage@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [Vantage] Switching Servers

We also made a server change. The fastest quickest way to get up and
running for us was to yank the old hard drive and drop it into the new
server. I made the old drive the boot drive and was able to make measured
changes in easy steps and not interfere with my users work. Down time was
about an hour.

Shirley Graver
Sys Admin
Rubber Associates.
The overall goal was the minimum down time. Since I had a warrenty constraint I had to have a service tech make the swap so the warrenty didnt void on the server. Also, since I had to use a tech a weekend install was impractical. The new server came with 2 9 gig drives in addition to the old drive.
With the new server back in service I could transport Vantage to its new home at my convienience. I was also able to confirm functionality before bringing back on line. After that the boot drive was left with nothing but operating software and a very large virtual memory paging file. (performance improved. All told the move was quick, safe and my users were oblivious to the change. (yes i did have multiple backups on tape)

Shirley Graver
Sys Admin
Rubber Associates