Flic buttons, IOT buttons, what could you use them for?

So I bought the original flic with a hub on indiegogo probably about a year ago. The idea was cool, but it was a bit limited and all of the setup had to be done on a smart phone (setting up REST was possible, but a huge pain)

Now they came out with a V2 which looks pretty cool. (it has a 2 color LED for feedback!) Loads more features and ways to get at it. But at $25+ a button, may be hard to scale up to something really useful?? What do you guys think? What would be a good use of something as simple as a button, where you get ā€œclickā€ ā€œdouble clickā€ and ā€œlong pressā€. Other than KanBan bins, I havenā€™t been able to think of anything truly useful.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shortcutlabs/flic-2-the-perfect-button-control-anything-with-a-push?utm_source=Main+Newsletter+List&utm_campaign=8489b781d0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_05_21_12_22_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_035b64529e-8489b781d0-145970343&mc_cid=8489b781d0&mc_eid=1c4cdab164

@Carson this is a continuation of your question from the EUG meeting.

2 Likes

Restart Task Manager, Restart(Sorry RECYCLE) Appserver, Restart the entire server, respectively. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Remind me not to leave that in my home office around my young kidsā€“could end badly. :rofl:

1 Like

This link isnā€™t good for my impulse buying.
Thanks a lot @Banderson. lol

1 Like

Do you have any better ideas other than light, doorbells, or Kanban bins? Specifically business related? I think setting this up would be awesome, but I need enough value to get buy in.

Write an uBAQ that does the entire quote to cash process at the push of a button.

Nope. Hah

3 Likes

One press. Embesselling henchman is electrocuted in his chair after lying to Number 1 about it
:smile:

Remember guys, itā€™s RECYCLE the AppServer! :wink: :recycle: I guess it doesnā€™t matter if thatā€™s followed by a Restart of the Serverā€¦ LOL :rofl:

1 Like

Duly noted and corrected! :blush:

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry but Iā€™m too lazy to look for and lift my finger to press a buttonā€¦just tell me it can be implanted in my brain and that my thoughts can trigger it to do anything that I want just by thinking about the things I want done in a certain order and then by saying a key phrase like ā€œThundercats Ho!ā€

LMBO! :joy:

This is one thing I can think of that it might be useful for on the floor:

Or maybe for this which has been in the news a lot lately:

Good Use for Flic Button

You got meā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s been a while and I think it needed to make a comebackā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

But seriously, you could maybe indicate the start and end of an operation on a job? Maybe have a queue of jobs that you are working on and as long as you follow the order of those jobs in the queue you could click once to start the activity on a job and click twice to stop it and remove it from the queue and track the time it took to complete.
Maybe eventually you could use Eva for something like this too. Eva clock into Job#, Operation, etcā€¦ Eva, clock out of Job#. :woman_shrugging: Iā€™m sure Iā€™m WAAAY over-generalizing this but just thinking out loud.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s always the hard part about any super automated stuff like a button or a voice control. So much has to be assumed that you have to follow the plan exactly or it breaks. PITA.

1 Like

And that why it is soooo hard to automate processes that will involve the users, or customers, because they are never 100% the same every time.

@ERPSysAdmin has some good ideas for sure - I like the ā€˜auto-clockingā€™ function at each machine center, but it could also extend to sending notifications to Inventory to move raw materials or WIP to the work center - sort of like a notification that says ā€œIā€™m almost done, make sure the stuff I need is here in the next 15 minutes.ā€ Or something similar to what @jgiese.wci is doing with PLC interfaces - the button could be a multifunction ā€œcall for helpā€ - it could call a supervisor, a ā€˜setupā€™ person, or a maintenance person, or a product engineer, or anything along those lines.

In my many years Iā€™ve found that true one-button automation really only works in the data center or for very simple tasks. Pretty much it comes down to this - if you wrote a script for it, you automated it and the button would work for that - or on a a sequence of those scripts. Iā€™m thinking that month end reporting, or mass data imports, or end-of-day processing for AR/Shipping, or resynching data ā€˜on demandā€™ may all be candidates, but I havenā€™t thought of anything that we all havenā€™t already done via scripting and Task Schedulingā€¦

Iā€™m curious to see what the possibilities are, I hope this brainstorming thread keeps going.

2 Likes

Request a Hilo Driver ā€“ tired of hearing the Paging System always go off ā€œHilo to Cell 5ā€ :slight_smile: and since they have HandHelds send them an Alert.

1 Like

How about using it like an Amazon Dash?
Button Push next to the Printer (creates a PO for more Paper when you are out)ā€¦
Or next to the coffee maker when you are running out of coffee.
Obviously you build in some logic to see if thereā€™s an already open PO then nothing happens. But i could see the usefulness specially if you work in an environment that depletes generic inventory items quickly.
I guess thatā€™s really Kan Banā€¦ sortaā€¦ but for purchasing

You could also put one on every-ones desk for clock in / clock out for the day assuming you use a time clock.

2 Likes

I always run out of toilet paper, wish they had a button for assistance.

1 Like

Genius idea! LMBO! :toilet: :roll_of_toilet_paper: :radio_button: :point_left: :ambulance:
:joy:

And if you did have one next to every printer/copier (or any other machine) and there was a problem with the machine someone could press the button for assistance and it would immediately alert the responsible party to an issue with the machine and it would make it easy to locate the machine on the plant floor.

2 Likes

As long as someone doesnā€™t turn the Philips Hue bulbs red above ITā€™s office until the issue is solved automatically :slight_smile: now if we could do a REST call to create a bat signalā€¦

3 Likes