Epicor DUU

Agreed!
The cirrus product is amazing and worth every penny (by the way it is really cheap for what it does)

I am currently working through the CIRRUS product with a 9.05.702 upgrade. It has been so easy to get upgraded and I did not have the stress of running patches and waiting on Progress, and then having to install different versions to step things through the versions. I am on-prem as well, but think this product is very nice and well thought out.

1 Like

So Upgrade Services has done arround 1374 DB Upgrades from various versions - here is an internal view we see

6 are going though as I look and one is a go Live being monitored by our team arround the clock. So what are you getting when you use Upgrade Services - Consistency and Repetability - its all automated - when you press upgrade DB - we back it up - compress / encrypt push it to the cloud then kick off a conversion VM that is locked down with all of the dependancies needed to go from version 8 to the latest (no one logs in to do things its all automated including running some reconsiliation reports) - we are just verifying 10.2.300 even (although that is not out just yet) but the key here is we know what is slow, we know what data issues we need to fix, we can optimise where we place LDF and MDF files, we know how many cores we have so can configure the tooling to be optimal and we can fix the older conversions that may not be optimised for SQL or progress. If there are data issues we have everything already in palce to debug and resolve. We know upgrading has been a pain - and there is more engineering effort occuring to make it a non event. We have new things comming in the latest release to make things easier and more automated and that will continue. Once you are upgraded it makes our joint lives eaiser - you still need to do work but we are happy to help you here also. It is not about making money from the process - we all win with you on the latest and greatest.

3 Likes

(TLDR: Epicor say no to the DUU, they’ll give you zero support on it, so it’s Cloud Upgrade service or the highway.)

Well, as closure I have my answer after going through a vague support call, a temporary CAM that wasn’t 100% up to speed, and eventually speaking to someone that knew the score and was very helpful.

Support for the DUU is now no longer provided, you can try it but if it throws up errors you’re on your own and no support will be provided. Therefore the only successful, and supported, upgrade path from Vantage 8 is the Cloud Upgrade Service.

£500 per pass is acceptable for what you recieve, I’m just very controlling and wanted to dictate the process and timescales myself. I just wish there was some decent technical doucmentation on the process available via EpicWeb etc. (for example the handling of the Cloud UOM process and pre-population of the associated
Excel / XML files).

1 Like

Oh, the Cloud Upgrade Service is failing on its first pass (twice so far), in that it’s hitting issues with the V8 to E9 schema just as the DUU did.

So in a twisted way am I now paying Epicor even more to fix a problem that I told them already existed with our database? :rofl:

Yes it took longer than expected for my first pass (like 2 weeks) with all the errors. Once they got through that initial one, it two 3 days to convert it again. they believe it will take 2 days to convert it on the final one. We are working through it.

1 Like