E10 Menu Maintenance not seeing Customization

Hello,
I tried to customize Transfer Order Shipment screen and when trying to set as the default in Menu Maintenance I do not see the customization.

I did the “Refresh List” and create different customization and seem like did not show up. What am I missing? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

You have to check all companies in the customization.

1 Like

Thanks Brandon! that works

It’s a super common question, and it’s been mentioned on here dozens of times.

I just submitted an enhancement request to support to have that box checked by default (@aidacra). So hopefully they can make that question go away.

We didn’t have to do it in E9 and the check box is there. We only have one company and it is selected as default company.

Not sure why we have to select the “All Compaines” in E10 to make it work.

It was an intended change. I don’t know why either.

The very short answer as to why is because we needed to make some changes in this area to better support our multi-tenant customers and this was part of that work.

That being said, that work had an unintended consequence to on-premise customers which is what we have now, (and speaking for myself) and restoring the balance a bit by way of having All Companies defaulted is a reasonable approach.

So this is what I put in for a case to service.

and this is what they responded.

For an E10.1.600 On Premise  System, a change Development made to Menu Maintenance now requires different steps to Deploy a Company Specific Customization.

Here is the KB Article that explains the new Company Specific Deployment Steps.  Please let me know if you have any questions:

New steps to Deploy Company Specific Customization in E10.1.600
KB0036191
Product this article applies to: ERP 10
Product Versions this article applies to: 10.1.600
Published to customer portal:Yes

Overview:  A change made to Menu Maintenance for an On Premise Epicor 10.1.600 system requires new steps to deploy a Company Specific Customization to a Base Menu.  What are those new steps?

New Steps to Deploy a Company Specific Customization to a Base Menu in an On Premise E10.1.600 System.  

1 Log into the Epicor 10.1.600 Company where the Company Specific Customization was created. 

Go to step 2.

2 Run Menu Maintenance (System Setup > System Maintenance).

Go to step 3.

3 Expand the Tree and select the Base Menu (like Part) that was Customized.

Go to step 4.

4 Select Actions > Copy to Current Company (to make a Company Specific Copy of the Base Menu).

Go to step 5.

5 Select the Customization drop down and then select the Customization; then select Save.

Action steps complete

So that’s pretty much why I don’t usually bother to send in enhancement requests to service.

@aidacra Is there a better place to log enhancement requests (other than opening a support case)? I completely understand Brandon’s frustration with this.

As for the specific issue, a lesson to be learned is that many things in the Epicor system are not what you think they are and may not do what you think they do. This “flag” should be labeled something clearer than “All Companies”. For those users that are familiar with Epicor 9 or anything prior to that, the label “All Companies” would mean something different than anything revolving around tenancy.

The Help for this field says:

All Companies
Defines the access users have to the current menu item. By default, only users within the Owning Company have access to this menu item. If the All Companies check box is selected, then users within companies in the same organization as the Owning Company can view and use the current menu item. However only users within the Owning Company can make changes to it.

By the description of the field, it tells me that this is something that revolves around tenancy, but it does not spell it out. No where does it state that if you are not a cloud customer, you need to have this checkbox checked.

Just my 2 cents… mic drop

2 Likes

We’re working on a more streamlined online way where users can vote on and submit enhancements, but, at this time all enhancements need to go through Support

OR

if one is a member of an official Epicor User Group, I know that they have a special relationship with us and they help Epicor with enhancements that their members would like to see. Not sure if that is at the national or regional level, but, I know that our leadership takes suggestions by way of the EUG very seriously–I had a pet project SCR targeted to a release once that was retargeted to another release so that development had time to work on an EUG provided enhancement request.

That being said, I’ve taken this enhancement request on personally and will make sure that development gives it all due consideration–I’ll update this post when I have an update.

2 Likes

Thank you!! I love trying to help out and make improvements, but the service center is just not the area to do that. I think you will get a lot better customer feedback on where they want the software to go instead of just what’s not right.

1 Like

Let me jump in with some background on the evolution to ‘All Companies’ and something called ‘Company Visibility’ since I had to review it…

The intent is to deal with the two admin roles - admin for both on premise and in SaaS (Security Managers) versus admin for the SaaS data centers (Global Security Managers). What is ‘All Companies’ varies for both. For on premise customers ‘All Companies’ means the entire db and all companies in it. For SaaS it means spanning all tenants in the db.

The framework feature automatically notes where things are running and adjusts accordingly. The application code has little to worry about and the querying and updating of data is handled by the framework. A whole class of cross tenant security issues in Multitenant SaaS go away.

From what I can tell the only issue we are discussing is that the default changed from current company to all companies? At least for non-SaaS customers, restoring to previous defaults seems a reasonable ask and seems to improve the UX.

Am I missing something?

I just sent you a message further explaining the behavior at hand.

1 Like

I agree with this. So often epicor controls and features appear under the guise of common sense, but are actually flat-out unintuitive. Low hanging fruit that I really don’t get.

2 Likes

Brandon,

Totally agree. I worked for a software company a while ago. They had a REALLY cool feature that would re-layout designs after they became complicated. Most of the time very useful, sometimes, based on what a user was trying to do - not so useful. Next release comes out and they cut the feature. But Why?!?!?

Customer support managed enhancement requests and a couple of customers out of 1,000’s had complained about the feature. Our response, it shouldn’t be up to the other 1,000’s of customers to call support to say - hey I really like this feature, can we please keep it?

2 Likes

This answer sorted my problem four years on :smile: Thanks!|