DMT Tool

Question regarding the DMT Tool, Do they have already loaded in basic DMT Templates? Looking for Part and MOM creation. We have Epicor 10.2 and have not used the DMT tool to its fullest extent and would like all the information on them. I remember hearing about a link at insights but it was never published that I have been able to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Is there something out there other than the Template Builder? I migrated hundreds of MOM’s with multiple DMT’s that I built by using the Template Builder built into DMT.

1 Like

usually you can find some templates in the DMT Labs documentation. I don’t remember what one there are but the it also helps with the order you have to do things. (Learned that the hard way).

Since every installation has different requirements, the out-of-the-box DMT only REQUIRES whatever fields are REQUIRED by Epicor for record creation in the table you’re working on (and will error out if required fields are not included). Additionally, the Template Builder will show you, for each upload type, all the other fields that are available.

Since DMT also follows the Epicor business objects, if you have a BPM that makes Part.ClassID a required field, the DMT will also error out if you try to create a part without having a class specified.

I think the DMT is far and away the best tool I’ve encountered for pretty much everyday use, and the more I use it the more I discover it can do. If you don’t feel you’re using it to its fullest extent, my recommendation is to just put your head down and use it more often.

That does, however, frequently make more work for the tech folks. Oh well.

Good luck!

3 Likes

If you’re new to DMT, please realize that not all fields in the templates are honored.

For example, when creating new OrderDtl records, the OrderLine field is ignored. The next availabe number is used, regardless of what your upload file contains.

Similarly, a VendorNum supplied (when creating Vendor records), is ignored and the next availble one is used. All other uploads will use the VendID to reference the Vendor table.

2 Likes

I find when building a new DMT that I haven’t done before is to work on a BAQ to extract the data and include our needed columns. That way I know all the table and field names, which helps me know if I need to do a single or multiple DMT loads to get the data imported.

Always test your DMTs in a test database until you’re sure they’re working for your environment.

3 Likes

On EpicWeb next to the DMT download itself, there was always a set of templates. Combined with all the good advice already mentioned above these could be interesting to look at to increase your familiarity with the tool.

Thank you all for your information. Now lets see what the IS department says :smile:

1 Like

Added to this question - Anyone deal with SOX compliance? How does the DMT tool work around controls and staying compliant?

I’ve not worked for a company that needed to be SOX compliant, but the DMT tool uses the same BO’s as the Epicor client.

I’m struggling with our IT department using this tool due to Sox. I want to stay away from using something outside of Epicor for imports of Data. There has to be a way around this for us to use this tool that would be so incredibly helpful for so many things that we manually do at this time.

To followup on @Randy’s post, it is the same as using the Epicor client. If you have BO security or field security in place the dmt will follow the same security as the Epicor client.

DMT is one of the best tools from Epicor, hopefully they allow you to use this.

1 Like

If your Epicor client is SOX compliant then the DMT should be as well. The DMT tool uses the same business objects as the full client so is subject to the same securities. That is, unless I’ve been grossly mislead, I’d get your CAM to verify it. thanks @bderuvo

Is this a one-off loading of data or a new user procedure you’re looking to use with the DMT tool?

We’ve had success with Paste-Insert for our users where there are LIST tabs.

1 Like

We are wanting to use this as a daily or a frequent upload either via a IT upload or a certain group of trained individuals. Wanting to use for Part/MOM/REV or lets say updating data that is already loaded into a certain field.

The DMT is SOX compliant as long as you keep all of the logs. Maybe the IT department can come up with something that saves the logs to the server so the users who have it on their computers can’t just delete the ones they get.

2 Likes

One possible approach would be to utilize the Powershell automation capabilities with DMT to place a bit of further restriction between your users and the DMT tool itself. We have set up network “Drop” folders with tight access restrictions where the User can save properly formatted files targeted at a specific DMT Transaction Type. This allowed the usage you describe without letting DMT Roam Wild so to speak.

1 Like

Where are you importing from? We use CadLink to import part data from SolidWorks and it works well for us. I don’t know anything about SOX, but CadLink is way better than one way update.

I previously worked for a UK based subsidiary of a US corporation and we had to comply with SOX and general rule of thumb was to minimise data transfers, and if they could not be avoided, that they were automated with no user/minimal intervention, that source file could not be intercepted/modified and that post transfer that the source and the destination could easily be compared to confirm they match. Ed’s solution is the only one that I think that will work but the logs will need to be checked and signed off each day.

Only non Powershell solution I can think of is comparing the part/bom/rev in the originating cad system and how it is after transfer on Epicor and someone in a non IT function signing them off as the same, particularly focusing on the cost - from your comments volumes are likely to make a manual system too onerous.