DMT question (for migration to E10)

DMT uses the business objects if I recall correctly it should invoke the ChangeCustomer BO Method which will invoke the logic using CustID not CustNUm

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

T: 904.469.1524 mobile

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:01 PM, ckrusen1@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p>Then how will the orders I bring over know which customer they are for?</p><div><br></div><div>The customer table in E10 (and V8) has both fields: CustNum and CustID.</div><div>The OrderHed table in E10 (and V8) only has the CustNum.</div><div><br></div><div>So I guess DMT will just assign sequential CustNums when bringing the customer records in.</div><div><br></div><div>So when I export the OrderHed records in V8, I&#39;ll have to link them to the Customer table and export the CustID instead of the CustNum?</div><div><br></div><div>Then DMT will lookup the CustNum based on the CustID on the <span style="word-spacing:normal;">Order import file?</span></div><div><br></div><div>Calvin</div><p></p>

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>

​if you have a cross reference sheet for your new CustID's you can just set the CustID on the import to your "New Cust ID" fairly automated.​

I would Export Customers -> Fix Cust ID's and keep a CrossReference

CustNum, OldCustID, NewCustID

Then on any order imports I would use the Excel VLOOKUP or any other method to get the "New" CustID into the dataset, then use standard DMT for the import.
​Without having to change the data in 8.03​

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 9:37 AM, ckrusen1@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p>I guess that&#39;s good an bad.</p><div><br></div><div>One of the reasons were doing a Migration from V8 to E10, instead of having Epicor do a conversion, is that we want to clean up a lot of bad data (and bad habits) that are in V8.  </div><div><br></div><div>AND since we were recently acquired by another comany and have to interface with their accounting system, we wanted to translate our CustID&#39;s to match those in the parent companies system.</div><div><br></div><div>I thought I could just export the customers from V8, do a one time translation of their CustID to match the new Co&#39;s Cust ID&#39;s, and the upload via DMT.  All the other tables that relate to Customer table (via <span style="word-spacing:normal;">CustNum</span><span style="word-spacing:normal;"> )</span><span style="word-spacing:normal;">would be okay as I wouldn&#39;t have messed with the CustNum.</span></div><div><span style="word-spacing:normal;"><br></span></div><div><span style="word-spacing:normal;">Looks like I&#39;ll have to have people do the CustID change in V8 before the export, or in E10 after the import.</span></div><div><span style="word-spacing:normal;"><br></span></div><div><span style="word-spacing:normal;">Calvin</span></div><div> </div><p></p>

</div><span>

I include the field CustNum when importing to the Customer table, but DMT seems to be ignoring it, and just creating sequential CustNums.

The reason why my data has non-consecutive CustNums, is because it is just a fraction of our current Customer records in V8.  We've got over 3,000 customer records in V8, but only want to bring about 300 over.

I assumed that I want the CustNum to be consistant between V8 and E10, so when I bring over things like: Quotes, Orders, Invoices,etc ... (which all refer to customers by CustNum), they line up properly.

My seed file for importing customers into E10 (via DMT), has the following fields:

Company

CustNum

CustID

PhoneNum

Name

Address1

Address2

Address3

City

State

Zip

CountryNum

BTName

BTPhoneNum

BTAddress1

BTAddress2

BTAddress3

BTCity

BTZip

BTCountryNum

TermsCode

EstDate

The related tables (Country and ARTerms) are already populated, and the import runs in DMT without errors.

Am I missing something?

If push comes to shove, I could import ALL the customers from V8 (creating bogus customers for any breaks in CustNum).  Then use DMT to delete all the ones I don't want in E10.  

Calvin

The customer number is not used for the other customer imports.  The DMT tool uses the CustID for importing the records.

So there is no need to bring in the custnum for the customer

Tom
Then how will the orders I bring over know which customer they are for?

The customer table in E10 (and V8) has both fields: CustNum and CustID.
The OrderHed table in E10 (and V8) only has the CustNum.

So I guess DMT will just assign sequential CustNums when bringing the customer records in.

So when I export the OrderHed records in V8, I'll have to link them to the Customer table and export the CustID instead of the CustNum?

Then DMT will lookup the CustNum based on the CustID on the Order import file?

Calvin
Yeah I just verified their OrderHedImporter uses CustID or BTCustID

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Jose Gomez <jose@...> wrote:
DMT uses the business objects if I recall correctly it should invoke the ChangeCustomer BO Method which will invoke the logic using CustID not CustNUm

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:01 PM, ckrusen1@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p>Then how will the orders I bring over know which customer they are for?</p><div><br></div><div>The customer table in E10 (and V8) has both fields: CustNum and CustID.</div><div>The OrderHed table in E10 (and V8) only has the CustNum.</div><div><br></div><div>So I guess DMT will just assign sequential CustNums when bringing the customer records in.</div><div><br></div><div>So when I export the OrderHed records in V8, I&#39;ll have to link them to the Customer table and export the CustID instead of the CustNum?</div><div><br></div><div>Then DMT will lookup the CustNum based on the CustID on the <span style="word-spacing:normal;">Order import file?</span></div><div><br></div><div>Calvin</div><p></p>

</div>

I guess that's good an bad.

One of the reasons were doing a Migration from V8 to E10, instead of having Epicor do a conversion, is that we want to clean up a lot of bad data (and bad habits) that are in V8.  

AND since we were recently acquired by another comany and have to interface with their accounting system, we wanted to translate our CustID's to match those in the parent companies system.

I thought I could just export the customers from V8, do a one time translation of their CustID to match the new Co's Cust ID's, and the upload via DMT.  All the other tables that relate to Customer table (via CustNum )would be okay as I wouldn't have messed with the CustNum.

Looks like I'll have to have people do the CustID change in V8 before the export, or in E10 after the import.

Calvin