Crystal Report not displaying properly in Epicor

We have a Crystal Report that when viewed in Crystal sorts our different resource groups into sections. When we view the same Crystal Report in Epicor, the report does not sort by group. Is there a way to bring the sorting into the Epicor view?

I’ve attached a screenshot of the Crystal Report and the view in Epicor. Any help would be appreciated.

It could be that the XML data used in the CR designed was generated with different options selected when you run it in V8.

Does the Report have options for sorting or grouping?

Try loading the XML generated when running the report in V8, into the CR. It might have some extra info that is selectively disabling grouping.

Also, looks like there are 2 groupings in the CR report

Which one does “ASSEMBLY”, “BOF”, “CASP CNC” belong to?

1 Like

I agree with @ckrusen, it does look like the CR that was run in Epicor is still doing the grouping as seen below:

It’s just that you have a lot more data under each grouping on the CR report from Epicor (different options and filters selected?) than the XML that you are connected to in CR itself… If you click on each group name on the left-side in the tree view circled in red above it will take you to the page where that new group starts… :wink:

Also just noticed that the CR preview shows “Page 1 of 4”, while the run-time preview shows 14 pages.

I made the mistake of assuming the problem was that some of the rows shown on the run-time output really belonged to other groups. But it really just looks like there’s much more data in the run-time.

Any idea on why there would be more data in the run-time version? I believe the same data displays on both but the one ran in Epicor displays more.

In CR designer, you have to select the XML file that contains the data to use for the preview. Your .rpt file is probably pointing to an old XML file. Note, the rpt file may be able to save the sample data with it, so the original XML file might not even exist anymore.

This assumes its a builtin report or a BAQ report. If you made the CR rpt to use an external connection (like ODBC), then the preview should be “live” (after you hit the refresh button).

In the CR designer, select Database -> Set source location from the menu bar. Then expand the ReportDataSet -> Properties node.

The XML file listed is the one that contained the data structure the report was made from. Note: This file does not need to exist for the report to function. But would be needed for previewing data.

Open the V8 system monitor to find the file used to make the runtime report.

BACKUP the .rpt file !!! (selecting a new datasource can really mess things up if it isn’t structured the same as the original one)

Change the filename in the “Set Datasource Location” window in CR to the file from the sys monitor. More than likely you’ll get another window asking you to browse to the desired file (seems it totally ignores whatever you change the filename to in the Set Data source Location window).