Consultants resources question

Mark … consider the capability of a consultant per Epicor and the extent of the vast requirements.
I actually worked for the company for 3 years… and they wanted to pigeon-hole me as a financial guy, but I also had 20+years of MFG experience, ergo very effective per engagements. Having been an independent and working for consulting firms over the last 8 years, clients were always looking for the Fin/MFG/Costing/unique-business-process-requirements/sometimes Project expert/trainer, who could also customize with one-hand tied behind their back. Realistically, does anyone know everything about EPICOR and has advanced tech-custom skills? If they do, I am sure the price-tag is ‘up-there’, but I am also sure they are worth it!
Settling into full-time work, I’m focusing more on the techy side, and it will pay off.
Through the entire journey, the top priority has been identifying what a company requires, what Epicor can and can not do… and filling the void, either thru re-engineering business processes… or tweaking the ERP app.
Understandably, as far as skill-base/knowledge of EPICOR is concerned… 11 years ago… I was a rookie! What’s tough for the EPICOR client, is paying EPICOR a standard hourly rate, whether the consultant is a rookie, or can walk on water as far as the application is concerned.
Where consultants need to focus… is evaluating the company and disconnects to Epicor capabilities, but that requires more consulting hours per a BPSR - Business Process Systems Review. While Epicor’s Implementation methodology has morphed over the years… the front-end analysis is key before getting started! This is where the super-consultant is required! So much like building a custom house, the architectural details need to be well defined.
Hope your deliverable is best-suited to company requirements!!!

3 Likes

@jadecorp has it correct. I would also like to encourage you to learn the software to the best of your ability. It is also good to have a couple of internal experts. You may have a person that understands from quote to cash, but you need others that are specific to their area of the software. This person also needs to study the technical reference guides to get a full understanding of some of the advanced features like scheduling engine, GL Posting, inventory trans, etc. Just thought I would add these few comments. The software is very complex as many have said to know it all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There really isn’t any need to pile on, I overall am happy with our Epicor consultant experience. Like I said, they did a great job getting us ready to go and our launch was successful. All of our vice presidents were hands on and by the time we went live were subject matter experts in their areas. They had to be for their own survival. If there were a technical reference guide for everything that would be great.

It’s entertaining (horrifying?) that so many experiences are similar in this business. Now that my kids are grown, they both work in IT - both in ERP as well. One for a competitor of Epicor’s which is fun around the holiday dinner table chatting work :wink:
The other one worked implementing a large three letter ERP product and it’s amazing how all their experiences align across the three companies on best practices. I think the ideas discussed up here are all a sign of a healthy review. I am enjoying the discussion!

Epicor Support has always had an “escalate any issue any time” philosophy and all of the contact points are available to discuss any issue where one doesn’t feel that exactly received a quality and/or timely response. Doesn’t mean that if one reaches out to an escalation point that the response won’t be the same, but, it is an additional avenue if one wishes to have one of the engineer-level Support resources review the case to make sure everything that we can do within Support was done.

If you would like to discuss your particular case (it looks like the case number is CS0000630379), please feel free to reach out at my work email address naanderson AT epicor DOT com or any of the other contact points on our published escalation list:

Just a general comment about Crystal Developer for those that are still deep in that world: SAP’s EULA doesn’t allow for it to be installed on a server OS.

2 Likes

Epicor Support has its place, but sometimes as mentioned above you need a consultant who knows how to apply the software to a business rather than just tell you what the software does. These are the guys that have worked in the field prior to becoming a consultant.

2 Likes