Best way to add additional columns to existing dataView?

Hi All,

E9.05.702A

We run into this regularly and have some up with solutions but I would like to see how others handle it.
To use a specific example, in Project Entry, on the Orders tab, it was requested to add the PO Number on the sales order.
The dataView is ProjectOrderLine so it’s understandable why PO number might not be on there and there are not user defined fields returned so I can populate the data on the GetByID.

How are others dealing with this?

We have used two approaches in the past.

1.  Create a new tab that has a grid that is populated with a BAQ and then hide the original. This can have its own challenges.

2.  Add new columns to the native grid and then use BOs or Adapters to retrieve the data needed.

JOE ROJAS
Epicor Applications Manager
VENTION MEDICAL
A NORDSON COMPANY

261 Cedar Hill Street | Marlborough, MA 01752
DIRECT: 508.597.1392 x1625 | MOBILE: 774.826.9245
EMAIL: JoRojas@ventionmedical.commailto:JoRojas@ventionmedical.com | WEB: ventionmedical.com http://www.ventionmedical.com/

This communication may contain information that is confidential, proprietary or exempt from disclosure, and is intended only for the use of the individual and/or entity it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any other dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return e-mail, and delete this information from your computer.

I look at this a couple ways.

1 - I look to see if I get the data into the existing view without a lot of pain. For example, add PO number from the Order Header to a field on each order line with a BPM.
2 - If #1 is not really a good option I typically, depending on the number of the rows the grid may return, use a dynamic query to pull the data needed to populate the grid. You can do this in bulk so there is very little back and forth with the BAQ retrieval. For example, you can pass several order numbers to the dynamic query and pull back all results vs. one at a time. This really eliminates a good chunk of the processing time to add columns without reinventing the full grid and performance is good up to about 100 rows.
3 - New tab & grid.

I normally use existing column in the grid that isnot in use, and populate with data that is required via BPM

I moved away from utilizing unused grid columns because I learned that Epicor 9-10 may still us these columns during internal transactions. After a long painful experience with TASKLIST list grid, I moved to a safer alternative using a dedicated UD field.