Anyone using information worker?

So someone showed some information about the information worker add on for outlook during insights. I didn’t see it myself, but one of my coworkers thought it looked useful. I’m watching a really old demo right now, and it seems like just another lookup tool within outlook.

My question, is, 1. is it easy to set up? 2. is it actually useful? I didn’t see anything in the demo that looks ground breaking to me.

It’s not just a lookup tool. You can actually make changes locally and have them update when you’re back online.

Have said that, I don’t see much, um, enthusiasm within the MS Dev area about the Information Worker program. With a little VB work, you might be able to reproduce some of that functionality with REST. It might be an older technology that gets superseded in the near future.

Mark W.

That’s kind of what I was thinking. I didn’t see anything that looked easier that looking up a customer in customer entry and making the changes. (although I live in epicor and others don’t). I was hoping to see it extracting information from e-mail to help with things, but it didn’t seem to do that. There was a pretty slick project someone showed for the EUG cup that did that.

Our use-case was for formal quotes. When you’re bidding on something that’s 500K+, you’re not going to give the customer an SSRS report. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So we would enter the quote number in Word and retrieve quote information and do some VBA to include various pictures, etc. But I think I can still do all that with a REST call. And now you have a nice looking quote on 32lb paper.

It was a nice tool for mail merge…

Mark W.

sounds like was is the key work there, huh?