An Excel question for setting up a DMT upload

I have one list of 1333 part numbers and a second list of 92 approved suppliers… which will eventually yield an upload of 122,636 records (more than a single Excel 2016 sheet can handle)

How can I make Excel explode these together so I have 2 uploads of 60k-ish each?

There’s no “trivial” way to do this… you could scroll down to record 60000 and do a Shift Rigth Shift Down and Cut it into another workbook…

Ernie, Excel takes over 1 million rows. Are you saving as xlsx?

2 Likes

yeah, old eyes didn’t see that extra zero for 1,048,576. Even aside from that, though, cutting and pasting 92 groups of the same part number and then adding the suppliers is tedious.

I didn’t get the the funnest part… there is another group of 8,501 part numbers and 509 suppliers. Over 4 million records on that one. Oh well. Thanks!

Just drop the two tables in access and do a query, export to excel.

1 Like

Where are the huge numbers coming from? Every part can be bought from every supplier?

That’s pretty lucky for your purchasing people - having that many sources. :slight_smile:

I like that… I’ll have to pass that on to the buyers. I’m sure “lucky” is the first word they think of each and every day.

It’s a highly regulated industry, and this is the “other” category… but they still have to maintain the discipline.

1 Like

Your original question of to make " Excel explode these together " is how to make all the combos in a single worksheet?

Have three sheets.

• Sheet one has the Parts with a row number column in the first column

• Sheet two has the Vendors with a row number column in the first column

• Sheet three has a row of formulas that increment the Supplier’s row num from 1 to count of suppliers, and part column row num increments every time the vendor row resets back to 1.

The third sheet the uses vlookups to find the PartNums and Vendors for the various combinations

Here’s a sample Excel file combiner.xlsx (13.0 KB)

1 Like

Or if the parts and vendors are already in E10 just make a BAQ with join on just the company. Export that to excel.

For the 4 million parts vendors combos just add criteria for vendor A-E, F-K, etc… to export in 4 or 5 segments.

1 Like

That did it. Thanks Calvin!