We are testing upgrading to E10.2.300.2 (we had no issues with E10.2.200.13) and are experiencing a very odd issue. I am at the point of running the various conversions (section 3.1.4) on the Epicor server which requires launching the client. The initial launching of the client feels normal. Once the application is open, I can initially click on a menu item, but it appears to go into a hang state and will not respond for nearly 2 minutes. Once the 2 minutes elapse, I can navigate around in the menu with no issue. Once I double click to launch a menu item, the same thing happens and the program launches, but then goes into the same hang state and will take 2 minutes for it to then respond to the first click. After that, it works perfectly normal. If I close the menu program and relaunch, it acts the very same way.
As an example, I launch the client. Once the client is open, I have to wait 2 minutes before anything will wake up and allow me to navigate the menu. I wait the 2 minutes and then click around to get to the part maintenance program. Clicking around is normal. Double click on the part maintenance program, it launches and displays normally, but then locks up for the 2 minutes. After that, I can click the part button, search button works normally, click the search, results show normally, click one part, window loads part data normally. If I close the part maintenance window and relaunch, I again have to wait 2 minutes before I can do anything.
Another thing to note, I do not see the (Not responding) message pop up in the window title bar like it will if there is processing going on. The CPU on the Epicor server is nearly 0% as well as the SQL server. I cannot find any errors in the event logs of either server.
I have also run the performance tool and don’t see anything of major consequence.