Adding Custom Crystal Reports to Vista 8.03

I find the data extraction of BAQ’s easier to use than a CR’s dataset.

But CR’s report designer is way better than SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Service). I’ve actually been forced to make a couple of BAQ Reports in E10 use CR as the rendering engine.

I’m trying to schedule this report to be automatically e-mailed out, is that possible in Vista? I created a schedule for it in System Agent, however when I go to the report to add it as a task, it doesn’t save my changes when I select the schedule and recurring on the report. How do I get the schedule/recurring to save?

Hmmm… I forget how to do this in V8.

In E10 you would just act like you are manually emailing the report (using the email icon - which V8 doesn’t have), but with a schedule selected first.

After clicking the email button, you get:

Fill in the fields, and hit OK.

Instead of instantly generating the report, it sets it as a task based on the schedule selected (#2 in the first pict)

Yeah I don’t have that option in Vista 8. I thought maybe if I set up a system agent and schedule, then add the report as a task on the schedule I’d be able to e-mail that way. But like I said, when I go into the report screen and hit drop down for schedule, nothing saves.

I don’t even recall how to create an email of a report in V8.

I do recall being able to generate emails based on BAM’s (Business Activity Monitors). But those would only email a static message, one with info related to the changed table, or using a .P program build the email in code. The code could query the DB, but it couldn’t run the report and attach it to the email.

If I remember correctly, the best thing you can do is mark the menu item as a startup item in V8. With V8 the user session had to be running for a report to generate, so using the user startup (located on the client MFGSYS.CFG if I remember
correctly). But to email it, you had to run the report and then export it and then email it. Things were still crude back in V8 days
:blush:

Charlie Smith

CRS Consulting Services

860-919-1708

Since you guys both seem very knowledgeable about Epicor, what are the biggest benefits from Vista to Epicor 10?

The issues I’m seeing with Vista, beyond being outdated, is it is difficult to get data out and there are lots of screens needed to do simple things. For example viewing inventory quantities and adjusting inventory quantities are two different screens. I’ve seen some of our employees have 10 screens open at a time just to accomplish simple tasks.

We jumped straight from V8 to E10.1.400 about 2 years ago.

The user interface and work flow is practically identical. There was almost no learning curve for our users.

The reporting system in E10 is different. It uses SSRS instead of Crystal Reports. But you can still use CR.

The #1 improvement we saw was the disappearance of the 7442 errors (or something like that). The ones you get when there is a network timeout.

The majority of the improvements are things that help the Admin and developers. Designing BAQ’s, Dashboards, reports, etc…

There were a few features that were new and greatly valuable to us. One is the new “Buy To Order” functionality.
In V8 if an order had a liine item for a part we don’t want to add to our part master, we’d:

1. Make a job for it, and add the part as the sole component (a Buy to Job part).
  2. Create a Buy To Job PO line
  3. Receive to the Job
  4. Close the job out and ship the job.

Now you can buy an item and it is linked to the order line.

I have to agree with Calvin. I don’t think I have any V8 clients left.

Going to 10 can be cloud based so you don’t have to worry about equipment requirements. If you are worried about the cloud, then you will probably need to update your equipment.

Operational benefits and data access are a big plus.

Charlie Smith

CRS Consulting Services

860-919-1708