10.0.700.4 to 10.1.400.15

We use a mix of SSRS and Crystal.
The SSRS reports are all Epicor's with some minor style modifications.
The rest of our crystal reports live on a shared drive and are merely a file path link in Epicor.

Hey All,

This is the first time I have done a patch since upgrading to 10.0.700.4.

Looking to hopefully get some advice or gotchas from the community on things I missed or haven't thought about.

What I have done so far:

• Cloned our production VM and attached it to an isolated network.
  • Took a snapshot of new VM pre-patch.
  • Backed up Live, Test, Pilot, and Train databases. (Doing all 4 is probably redundant unless there's specific things currently in the non-live environments, right?)
  • Ran through the Epicor Installation Guide
    • One gotcha I found was that I needed to delete the DBMigration folder before each database upgrade or it won't finish properly per Epicor Support.
  • Ran pending conversions.
  • Validated Personalizations, Customizations,  BPM's, Dashboards, and BAQ's
  • Had competent users from each department test the core functions for and glaring bugs or changes
  • ???
  • Profit
Am I missing anything? 
What are your procedures for testing point/dot releases? 
How do you know what to test? 
Do you test everything or review the release notes and test the modules it affected? 
Do you normally do it yourself, or do you have power users do it for you?
I'm sure my CFO will also want to know the risks of the patch installation. There should be very little risk, if any, by having that initial pre-patch snapshot to fall back to, right?
How do you system admins handle the group policies on client machines so that you don't have to go to each workstation to put in the admin password when the client gets updated?
Additionally, when I initially cloned our production, I changed the IP and server name, but had a rough time trying to switch the app servers to point at the new server name. Do I have to remove and re-create all of the app servers with the new host name? Ideally, I'd like to have a network attached development server that people can connect to, to test in their own time.

Thanks in advance!

Any reason you didn’t use the .16 patch which came out a week and a half ago?

We tested the .16 patch with accounting, payroll, and purchasing to verify functionality

After doing the update in a demo environment and a test system with no issues, the update really frelled the live system web.config file – luckily it makes a backup J

bw

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 8:53 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] 10.0.700.4 to 10.1.400.15

Hey All,

This is the first time I have done a patch since upgrading to 10.0.700.4.

Looking to hopefully get some advice or gotchas from the community on things I missed or haven't thought about.

What I have done so far:

·     Cloned our production VM and attached it to an isolated network.

·     Took a snapshot of new VM pre-patch.

·     Backed up Live, Test, Pilot, and Train databases. (Doing all 4 is probably redundant unless there's specific things currently in the non-live environments, right?)

·     Ran through the Epicor Installation Guide

o    One gotcha I found was that I needed to delete the DBMigration folder before each database upgrade or it won't finish properly per Epicor Support.

·     Ran pending conversions.

·     Validated Personalizations, Customizations,  BPM's, Dashboards, and BAQ's

·     Had competent users from each department test the core functions for and glaring bugs or changes

·     ???

·     Profit

Am I missing anything? 

What are your procedures for testing point/dot releases? 

How do you know what to test? 

Do you test everything or review the release notes and test the modules it affected? 

Do you normally do it yourself, or do you have power users do it for you?

I'm sure my CFO will also want to know the risks of the patch installation. There should be very little risk, if any, by having that initial pre-patch snapshot to fall back to, right?

How do you system admins handle the group policies on client machines so that you don't have to go to each workstation to put in the admin password when the client gets updated?

Additionally, when I initially cloned our production, I changed the IP and server name, but had a rough time trying to switch the app servers to point at the new server name. Do I have to remove and re-create all of the app servers with the new host name? Ideally, I'd like to have a network attached development server that people can connect to, to test in their own time.

Thanks in advance!

When I cloned the production environment, .16 wasn't out yet.
Mostly just a matter of timing.
What type of reports do you use?
If you use any crystal you may need to change some paths and verify the xmls

As for testing, you're going to a new version.  I would test all customizations. BPMs should be alright unless you've got some really crazy ones.  I try to do all the testing except a few areas I pass on to some trusted power users.. Mainly because its easier for me to figure out what the issue is when i'm doing it myself.